|Successor||SML Isuzu Limited|
|Products||trucks, buses, ambulances, police personnel carriers, water tankers and special vehicles|
|Divisions||Swaraj Mazda Parts Division|
Established in 1983, Swaraj Mazda Limited, at Chandigarh, India based automobile company, is owned by the Sumitomo Corporation of Japan and Punjab Tractors Limited of India, with a technical collaboration with Isuzu and Mazda of Japan. Sumitomo upped its stake in the company in 2009 by purchasing all of Punjab Tractors' remaining shares, raising their stake to 53.5% After some trial production in 1985, series production began in 1986.
The company manufactures light commercial vehicles like trucks, buses, ambulances, police personnel carriers, water tankers and special vehicles.
The company's annual turnover for the year 1997 - 1998 exceeded Rs. 151 crores. It has a dealer network of about 128 dealers spread throughout India. Swaraj Engines and Punjab Scooters are its associate companies.
In June 2006, Swaraj Mazda entered a new Technical agreement with Isuzu Motors, Japan.
In 2009, Swaraj Mazda started to roll out Luxury buses and medium-duty trucks powered by Isuzu Engines from a new plant in Punjab. Plans are to build multi-axle trucks, tractor units and refrigerated trucks within the next three years. For an interim period, these vehicles were marketed under the Swaraj Mazda Isuzu brand.
Former associate company Punjab Tractors manufactured agricultural tractors and combine harvesters under the Swaraj brand name before selling 64.6% to Mahindra Tractors. In 2009, Mahindra and Swaraj Mazda settled a dispute over the use of the Swaraj name, allowing Swaraj Mazda to continue using the name for only two more years.
Swaraj Mazda Limited has informed the Exchange that at the Board Meeting of the Company held on 1 October 2010, the Board of Directors have decided to change the name of the Company from Swaraj Mazda Limited to SML Isuzu Limited. As of 2011 they no longer use the "Swaraj" brand name.
- "Company History: Major Milestones".
- "Company History: Major Milestones". Chandigarh: SML Isuzu Limited. Retrieved 16 September 2013.
- "India: Swaraj Mazda builds medium-heavy CV capacity". Automotive World. 13 March 2009. Retrieved 26 July 2010.
- "Swaraj Mazda D-Max - - News : Overdrive". Overdrive.in. 7 November 2008. Archived from the original on 29 July 2010. Retrieved 26 July 2010.
- "M&M, Swaraj resolve brand issue-Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times". Economictimes.indiatimes.com. 31 March 2009. Retrieved 26 July 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Swaraj Mazda vehicles.|