Mukherjee in 2015
|Years active||2000 – Present|
Mukherjee made her screen debut with Devdasi, a Bengali TV series. She made her big screen debut with Hemanter Pakhi (2001). Her first leading role came with Mastan (2004). She made her Bollywood debut with Mumbai Cutting (2008). She's acted in the recent Bollywood remake of Fault in Our Stars titled Dil Bechara .
Personal life and career
Mukherjee spent her childhood in a self-described "simple life" with her father Santu Mukhopadhyay, younger sister Ajopa, and mother Gopa. Her favorite films were Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Mary Poppins, and The Sound of Music. She was educated at Carmel School, Kolkata, St. Teresa's Secondary School, and Gokhale Memorial School.
Marriage/False accusations of dowry and harassment
In 1998 at the age of 18, she married Promit Sen, son of Rabindra Sangeet singer Sagar Sen. The marriage was unhappy, and lasted just two years, Swastika accused Promit of physically abusing her and locking her out of their home when she was pregnant. She filed a charge against him for cruelty and solicitation of dowry. These charges were subsequently dismissed and Promit was acquitted.
Swastika later filed an affidavit in court stating that her accusations were 'unfounded, false, baseless and speculative,' before confessing in a media conference that they were false. Consequently, Promit's brother sued her for damages in Calcutta High Court and she was held liable for ₹7.7 crore ($1.7 million). According to Mukherjee, Sen filed for divorce in 2000, but changed his mind when she became successful in her acting career. She had one daughter from the marriage, Anwesha, born in 2000.
In 2001, Mukherjee enrolled at the Ananda Shankar Centre for Culture, learning dance from veteran Tanusree Shankar. During the filming of Mastan, she began dating her co-star Jeet. They went on to appear in several films together, including Kranti, Krishnakanter Will, and Partner. She later began a relationship with Parambrata Chatterjee on the set of Brake Fail. As she was still lawfully married to Pramit Sen, he filed a charge against Chatterjee for criminal adultery and enticement of a married woman. They separated in 2010 when Chatterjee moved to Bristol.
In May 2014, Mukherjee was hospitalized after an alleged suicide attempt. Under strong local protest, Kolkata police detained Mukherjee's boyfriend Sumon Mukhopadhyay.
On 4 November 2014, allegations were made that she had shoplifted a gold earring from a jewelry store in Singapore. The shop owner filed a complaint against Mukherjee to the organizer of the film festival, but no police complaint was lodged against her. Mukherjee denied the charge and claimed that it might have happened "accidentally."
- "Tollywood top girls on the go, at a glance". The Telegraph. Calcutta, India. 4 September 2004. Retrieved 8 September 2008.
- "Interview swastika Mukherjee on her talk of the town character spending time with shabitri and pushing boundaries". Telegraph India.
- "Interview with Swastika Mukherjee". Savvy. 26 November 2009.
- "Singer Behind Bars for Wife-Bashing". Calcutta Telegraph. Calcutta, India. 9 June 2000. Retrieved 12 April 2011.
- says, Ankan Basu. "Bengali Film Actress Swastika Mukherjee confessed false dowry allegations – Calcutta Tube". Retrieved 12 June 2020.
- "Actress loses appeal in Rs 7.7 crore case". www.telegraphindia.com. Retrieved 12 June 2020.
- "Arrest warrant against Param". Times of India. 18 September 2009. Retrieved 12 April 2011.
- Dasgupta, Priyanka (5 July 2009). "'An intimate scene would be a pushover'". Times of India. Retrieved 12 April 2011.
- "Swastika ready for one night stand?". Times of India. 5 September 2010. Retrieved 12 April 2011.
- Roy, Gitanjali (6 November 2014). "Swastika Mukherjee: Bengals Sweetheart But Off-Screen, a Darker Story – NDTV Movies". NDTVMovies.com.
- "Actress Swastika Mukherjee Caught Shoplifting?". NDTVMovies.com. 4 November 2014.
- "Bengali actor Swastika caught shoplifting in Singapore". India Today. 4 November 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Swastika Mukherjee.|