Sweden at the 1956 Summer Olympics
|Sweden at the|
1956 Summer Olympics
|NOC||Swedish Olympic Committee|
|Competitors||88 (74 men and 14 women) in 14 sports|
|Flag bearer||Melbourne Per Carlesson Stockholm Gösta Boltenstern|
|Summer Olympics appearances (overview)|
|Other related appearances|
|1906 Intercalated Games|
Sweden competed at the 1956 Summer Olympics in Melbourne, Australia, with the exception of the equestrian events, which could not be held in Australia due to quarantine regulations. Instead, those events were held five months earlier in Stockholm, Sweden.
88 competitors, 74 men and 14 women, took part in 74 events in 14 sports. Swedish athletes won a total of 19 medals at the games, including 3 golds in the equestrian events held in their own country.
- Jvert Nyberg — 2:31:12 (→ 8th place)
- Thomas Nilsson — 2:33:33 (→ 9th place)
- Arnold Waide — 2:36:21 (→ 11th place)
Men's Team Time Trial
Men's Individual Road Race
- Lars Nordwall — 5:23:40 (→ 10th place)
- Karl-Ivar Andersson — 5:23:50 (→ 17th place)
- Roland Ströhm — 5:24:44 (→ 20th place)
- Gunnar Göransson — 5:30:45 (→ 31st place)
Women's 10m Platform
- Preliminary Round — 50.48
- Final — 75.21 (→ 8th place)
Five fencers, all men, represented Sweden in 1956.
Three male pentathletes represented the Sweden in 1956. Lars Hall won gold in the individual event.
- Lars Hall
- Bertil Haase
- Björn Thofelt
- Olle Larsson
- Lennart Andersson
- Kjell Hansson
- Rune Andersson
- Lennart Hansson
- Gösta Eriksson
- Ivar Aronsson
- Evert Gunnarsson
- Bertil Göransson
- "Sweden at the 1956 Melbourne Summer Games". sports-reference.com. Retrieved 2010-10-21.
- Evans, Hilary; Gjerde, Arild; Heijmans, Jeroen; Mallon, Bill. "Sweden Rowing at the 1956 Melbourne Summer Games". Olympics at Sports-Reference.com. Sports Reference LLC. Retrieved 28 February 2018.