|Elevation||732 ft (223 m)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (Central (CST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||462147|
Swedesburg had a population of 86 in 2000.
Attractions and landmarks
Swedesburg has a museum, the Swedish American Museum, which commemorates the community's Swedish heritage. It is housed in the former Farmers Union Exchange Building, a structure which dates from the 1920s.
The following buildings are on the National Register of Historic Places:
- Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Church
- John Hultquist House
- Charles E. Hult House, Summer Kitchen and Wood Shed
- Red Ball Garage
Swedesburg lies along the concurrent U.S. Route 218 and Iowa Highway 27. Its elevation is 732 feet (223 m). The nearest rail connection is at the county seat of Mount Pleasant, approximately ten miles to the south.
The author Bill Bryson mentions Swedesburg in his 2006 memoir, The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid. Bryson recalls seeing Swedesburg from a distance whilst visiting his grandparents in nearby Winfield in the 1950s, and reflects how the heritages of settlements such as Swedesburg were affected by the policies of Governor William L. Harding, which resulted in the decline of European languages in the state.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Swedesburg, Iowa
- "Free ZIP Code Lookup with area code, county, geocode, MSA/PMSA, population". www.zipinfo.com.
- The History of Henry County, Iowa: Containing a History of the County, Its Cities, Towns, &c. Western Historical Company. 1879. pp. 552.
- Sood, Kiran. "Iowa All Over: Preserving Swedish History in Swedesburg". The Gazette.
- "View Museum Info". www.museumsusa.org.
- Brian E. Clark (2017-01-27). "Swedesburg, Iowa, museum a trove of pioneer artifacts". Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Retrieved 2020-07-01.
- "Mount Pleasant" (PDF). Iowa Department of Education. Retrieved 2020-07-19.
- Rand McNally. The Road Atlas '08. Chicago: Rand McNally, 2008, p. 39.
- Bryson, B. The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid, Doubleday, pp.209-210, ISBN 978-0-385-60826-8