|Parent department||Ministry of Justice|
The Swedish Authority for Privacy Protection (Swedish: Integritetsskyddsmyndigheten), formerly the Swedish Data Protection Authority (Swedish: Datainspektionen), is a Swedish government agency, organized under the Ministry of Justice, tasked to protect the individual's privacy in the information society without unnecessarily preventing or complicating the use of new technology. The agency ensure legislation within this area is complied with and as such supervise different registers and carry out inspections of companies, organizations and other government agencies; led by the agency's own IT security specialists and legal advisors. The most important legislation is the Personal Data Act of 1998, the Debt Recovery Act of 1974 and the Credit Information Act of 1973. The agency also has an expert advisory role when the Government prepares new statutory provisions.
The Swedish Data Protection Authority was established in 1973, as a result of public concern about personal data and abuse of government power related to mass surveillance and the enactment of the world's first national data protection law: the Data Act.
On 1 January 2021, the agency was renamed to the Swedish Authority for Privacy Protection.
The board is tasked to supervise the Schengen Information System, and is involved in a number of international groups that work on privacy and personal data issues; for instance EU's data protection group and the supervisory function of Europol's data system.
The agency is based in Stockholm and is led by Director-general Kristina Svahn Starrsjö. It has approximately 40 employees, the majority of whom are lawyers. The agency also has a call center that receive on average 200 calls and 60-70 e-mails per week, mostly relating to topical questions regarding protection of privacy.
- "The Swedish Data Protection Authority". Retrieved 11 July 2016.
- "Datainspektionens regleringsbrev 2013" (in Swedish). The Swedish Government. Retrieved 12 June 2014.
- "What on earth does the Data Inspection Board do?" (PDF). Swedish Data Inspection Board. Retrieved 12 June 2014.
- "About". Swedish Data Inspection Board. Retrieved 12 June 2014.
- "Datainspektionen 1973–2011" (in Swedish). Swedish Data Inspection Board. Retrieved 12 June 2014.
Datainspektionen inrättas som en central tillstånds- och tillsynsmyndighet med huvuduppgift att övervaka världens första nationella datalag som börjar gälla den 1 juli.
- "Datainspektionen heter nu Integritetsskyddsmyndigheten (IMY)". Integritetsskyddsmyndigheten (in Swedish). Retrieved 5 January 2021.
- "International co-operation". Swedish Data Inspection Board. Retrieved 12 June 2014.