Swedish Military Intelligence and Security Service
This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2021)
|Militära underrättelse- och säkerhetstjänsten|
|Headquarters||Swedish Armed Forces Headquarters|
MUST is both a foreign intelligence and a military security/counterintelligence agency. In its intelligence role, MUST is responsible for providing intelligence on foreign threats to the Government of Sweden and the Swedish Armed Forces. However, signals intelligence is handled by a separate civilian agency operated by the Ministry of Defence, the Swedish National Defence Radio Establishment (FRA), which is not part of MUST.
MUST is legally prohibited from gathering intelligence on Swedish domestic affairs, except in its more narrowly defined role a counter-intelligence agency tasked with identifying threats to the armed forces, such as sabotage, espionage, or infiltration. Domestic security and civilian counterintelligence in a non-military setting are handled by the Swedish Security Service (SÄPO), a civilian agency unaffiliated to MUST.
MUST consists of the following departments:
- Underrättelsekontoret (UNDK, Intelligence Office)
- Tasked with acquiring strategic intelligence for Central Command and Ministry of Defence decision-making, as well as aiding deployed Swedish military units.
- Säkerhetskontoret (SÄKK, Security Office)
- Tasked with electronic and cyberwarfare, counterintelligence, cryptography, and personnel vetting, including to protect the Swedish Armed Forces against espionage or infiltration.
- Kontoret för Särskild Inhämtning (KSI, Office for Special Acquisition)
- Tasked with espionage abroad, including human intelligence and interagency relations, as well as clandestine activities. Little is known about KSI, which is generally considered the most secret part of MUST.
MUST co-operates on various matters with other defence agencies, including the Swedish National Defence Radio Establishment (FRA), the Swedish Defence Research Agency (FOI), and the Swedish Defence Materiel Administration (FMV).
- 1993–1999: Erik Rossander
- 1999–2003: Håkan Syrén
- 2004–2007: Håkan Pettersson
- 2007–2012: Stefan Kristiansson
- 2012–2019: Gunnar Karlson
- 2019–present: Lena Hallin
- Swedish National Defence Radio Establishment (FRA), Sweden's signals intelligence agency.
- Swedish Security Service (SÄPO), Sweden's domestic security agency.
- Swedish Armed Forces. "Folder om militära underrättelse- och säkerhetstjänsten" (PDF). Retrieved 19 October 2013.
- Official website (in Swedish)