Swedish Radio Symphony Orchestra
Swedish Radio Symphony Orchestra (Swedish: Sveriges Radios Symfoniorkester) is a Swedish radio orchestra based in Stockholm, affiliated with Sveriges Radio (Swedish Radio). Its principal performing venue is the Berwaldhallen (Berwald Hall). The orchestra broadcasts concerts on the Swedish Radio-P2 network.
One of the precursor ensembles to the current orchestra was the Radioorkestern (Radio Orchestra), whose chief conductors included Nils Grevillius (1927-1939) and Tor Mann (1939-1959). In 1965, the Radioorkestern was merged with another orchestra from Swedish Radio, the Underhållningsorkestern (Entertainment Orchestra), under the new name of the Swedish Radio Symphony Orchestra. Sergiu Celibidache was the newly formed orchestra's first principal conductor, from 1965 to 1971. In 1979, the orchestra took up residence at the Berwaldhallen.
Since 2007, the orchestra's principal conductor is Daniel Harding. In September 2009, the orchestra announced the first extension of Harding's contract as principal conductor, through 2012. In April 2013, the orchestra announced a second extension of Harding's contract through 2015. Harding's current contract with the orchestra is through 2020.
Herbert Blomstedt, principal conductor of the orchestra from 1977 to 1982, now has the title of förste hedersdirigent (first honorary conductor) with the orchestra. Valery Gergiev also holds the title of hedersdirigent with the orchestra. In December 2017, the orchestra announced the appointment of Klaus Mäkelä as its next principal guest conductor, effective with the 2018-2019 season. Mäkelä is the youngest-ever appointment to a titled post with the orchestra.
- Sergiu Celibidache (1965–1971)
- Herbert Blomstedt (1977–1982)
- Esa-Pekka Salonen (1984–1995)
- Yevgeny Svetlanov (1997–1999)
- Manfred Honeck (2000–2006)
- Daniel Harding (2007–present)
- Bo Löfvendahl (2009-09-17). "SR förlänger med dirigent". Svenska Dagbladet. Retrieved 2009-10-31.
- "Harding kvar hos Radiosymfonikerna". Svenska Dagbladet. 2013-04-17. Retrieved 2013-08-04.
- Abdul Hibombo (2017-09-08). "Dubbelt jubileum för maestro Herbert Blomstedt". SVT Nyheter. Retrieved 2017-12-31.
- "Swedish Radio Symphony Orchestra appoints sought-after conductor" (Press release). Swedish Radio Symphony Orchestra. 4 December 2017. Retrieved 2017-12-31.
|This article about a Swedish band or other musical ensemble is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|