|Single by Zac Brown Band|
|from the album Uncaged|
|Released||August 26, 2013|
|Zac Brown Band singles chronology|
"Sweet Annie" is a song recorded by American country music group Zac Brown Band. It was released in August 2013 as the fourth single from the group's third major-label album, Uncaged. The song was written by Zac Brown, Wyatt Durrette, Sonia Leigh, and John Pierce. As of March 12, 2014 the single has sold 439,000 copies in the United States and has been certified Gold by the RIAA.
The song is a mid-tempo ballad about a singer who is tired of his life on the road, and pleads with his lover to "stay with [him] awhile." It is in the key of F-sharp major with a slow tempo of 72 beats per minute, and the guitars set to E-flat tuning.
Chuck Dauphin of Roughstock gave the song a favorable review, praising the "spellbinding" harmonies and calling it "another hit to be from arguably the most consistent act in the business." On the same site, Bobby Peacock gave it 5 out of 5 stars, saying that it had "a familiar but enjoyable story" and that "The instrumental interplay is as strong as ever […] And of course, there's absolutely no denying those impeccable four-part harmonies." Phyllis Hunter of Got Country Online gave the song five out of five stars as well, calling it "simple and heartbreaking. Not since "Colder Weather" has Zac Brown's voice been so achingly showcased." Billy Dukes of Taste of Country was less favorable, giving the song three and a half stars out of five and writing that "the collaborative spirit that defined them early on is missing, making the ensemble sound more like Zac Brown's band instead of the Zac Brown Band." Dukes also called the song "predictable," saying that "the lyrical strength of 'Sweet Annie' will serve the song well, but one finds himself begging for a surprise."
The music video was directed by Cole Cassell and premiered in October 2013. It featured an edited video of Coy Bowles' wedding, who is a member of the band.
"Sweet Annie" debuted at number 58 on the U.S. Billboard Country Airplay chart for the week of August 31, 2013. It also debuted at number 50 on the U.S. Billboard Hot Country Songs chart for the week of September 21, 2013. It also debuted at number 94 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 chart for the week of November 2, 2013. It also debuted at number 96 on the Canadian Hot 100 chart for the week of November 9, 2013. As of March 2014, the song has sold 439,000 copies in the U.S.
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||47|
|Canada Country (Billboard)||2|
|US Billboard Hot 100||47|
|US Country Airplay (Billboard)||1|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||6|
|US Country Airplay (Billboard)||77|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||92|
|US Country Airplay (Billboard)||57|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||56|
|United States (RIAA)||Gold||500,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- "Song Spotlight - Zac Brown Band - Sweet Annie". Bob Kingsley's Country Top 40. Retrieved September 11, 2013.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-03-20. Retrieved 2014-03-28. Cite uses deprecated parameter
|deadurl=(help)CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "American single certifications – Zac Brown Band – Sweet Annie". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH. Cite error: The named reference "United StatesZac Brown BandSweet AnniesingleCertRef" was defined multiple times with different content (see the help page).
- "'Sweet Annie' sheet music". MusicNotes.com. Retrieved 27 November 2013.
- Dauphin, Chuck (August 9, 2013). "The Weekly Single Recap: The Week Of August 9, 2013: New songs from Randy Travis, Jennifer Nettles, Zac Brown Band, Austin Webb and More". Roughstock. Retrieved September 11, 2013.
- Peacock, Bobby (12 November 2013). "Single Review: Zac Brown Band - Sweet Annie". Roughstock. Retrieved 27 November 2013.
- Dukes, Billy (August 7, 2013). "Zac Brown Band, 'Sweet Annie' – Song Review". Taste of Country. Retrieved September 11, 2013.
- "CMT : Videos : Zac Brown Band : Sweet Annie". Country Music Television. Retrieved October 30, 2013.
- Morris, Edward (August 24, 2013). "Luke Bryan Explodes at No. 1 on Billboard 200". Country Music Television. Retrieved September 11, 2013.
- Matt Bjorke (March 12, 2014). "Country Chart News - The Top 30 Digital Singles - March 12, 2014: Brantley Gilbert #1, Cassadee Pope & Cole Swindell Platinum". Roughstock. Archived from the original on March 15, 2014. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Zac Brown Band Chart History (Canadian Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "Zac Brown Band Chart History (Canada Country)". Billboard.
- "Zac Brown Band Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "Zac Brown Band Chart History (Country Airplay)". Billboard.
- "Zac Brown Band Chart History (Hot Country Songs)". Billboard.
- "Billboard Country Update for December 16, 2013" (PDF). Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. December 16, 2013. p. 21. Retrieved December 17, 2013.
- "Best of 2013: Hot Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2013. Retrieved December 13, 2013.
- "Best of 2014: Country Airplay". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2014. Retrieved December 9, 2014.
- "Best of 2014: Hot Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2014. Retrieved December 9, 2014.