|Single by The Temper Trap|
|from the album Conditions|
|Released||16 September 2008|
|Format||CD single, download|
|Genre||Indie rock, post-punk revival|
Infectious Records (UK)
Glassnote Records (US)
|Writer(s)||D. Mandagi, L. Sillitto|
|The Temper Trap singles chronology|
"Sweet Disposition" is a song by Australian indie rock band The Temper Trap. Described by critics as an "indie anthem", the song was written by Dougy Mandagi and Lorenzo Silitto. It was not a huge success initially in Australia, and fared better in Japan and Europe. Renewed interest in the song was generated after it was included in the soundtrack for the 2009 film 500 Days of Summer–eventually reaching number nine on the Billboard Alternative Songs chart in the United States.
Charts and certifications
Despite The Temper Trap originating from Australia, "Sweet Disposition", the lead single from the debut album Conditions has proved to be more popular in the UK and Ireland, reaching No. 6 (in the week beginning 11 October 2009) and No. 8 respectively, while it only reached a peak of No. 14 in Australia.
In the Japanese charts, it reached No. 15. The song reached No. 9 on Billboard's Alternative Songs chart, due to interest in the song after it appeared in the film (500) Days of Summer. In 2014, it was featured in the action film 3 Days to Kill starring Kevin Costner.
There are three music videos for the song. The Australian/domestic version, directed by Madeline Griffith, features the band performing alongside slow motion footage of light bulbs smashing on the floor.
The UK/international version directed by Barnaby Roper, features a girl roller blading through space, past transparent images of each band member. That version was also played in Australia following the song's increase in popularity in 2010. The US version, directed by Daniel Eskils, was released in March 2010. This version displays the band members playing around with musical instruments as well as demolishing them, this all being taped with a high-speed camera.
|Australian Singles Chart||14|
|Dutch Top 40||32|
|Italian Airplay Chart||3|
|Japan Hot 100||15|
|Irish Singles Chart||8|
|New Zealand Singles Chart||34|
|UK Singles Chart||6|
|UK Indie Singles Chart||5|
|UK Official Streaming Chart Top 100||80|
|US Billboard Alternative Songs||9|
|US Billboard Rock Songs||17|
|US Billboard Hot Dance Club Songs||3|
|US Billboard Hot Dance Airplay||1|
|US Billboard Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles||8|
|UK Singles Chart||78|
|Australian Singles Chart||56|
|Italian Singles Chart||55|
|U.S. Billboard Hot Dance Club Play||43|
- "The Temper Trap Ponder Album No. 2". Clash. Retrieved 12 March 2011.
- "16 Albums you need to listen to in June". Harper's Bazaar. 1 June 2016. Retrieved 17 June 2016.
- "Certificazioni Download FIMI" (PDF) (in Italian). Federation of the Italian Music Industry. Retrieved 2 January 2012.
- ARIA Australian Top 50 Singles Chart
- "New Zealand Singles Chart: Chart #1696". RIANZ. 23 November 2009. Retrieved 24 November 2009.
- BBC - Radio 1 - Charts - The Official UK Top 40 Singles Chart
- "Sweet Disposition" Chart Info. Billboard
- "Charts Plus Year end 2009" (PDF). Charts Plus. Retrieved 19 July 2010.
- "ARIA Charts – End Of Year Charts – Top 100 Singles 2010". Australian Recording Industry Association. Retrieved 8 January 2011.
- "Best of 2010: Dance/Club Songs - Billboard.com". Billboard. Retrieved 23 April 2012.