Sweet Water, Alabama
|Sweet Water, Alabama|
Location in Marengo County and the state of Alabama
|• Total||2 sq mi (5 km2)|
|• Land||2 sq mi (5 km2)|
|Elevation||184 ft (56 m)|
|• Density||117/sq mi (45/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0153626|
Sweet Water is a town in Marengo County, Alabama, United States. This town is twenty-four miles south of Linden. The community was founded during the 1840s. It was named for Sweet Water Creek, which runs through a section of the community. The population was 258 during the 2010 census. It is home to Sweet Water High School, part of the Marengo County Public School System. The current school was founded during the early 1870s.
|U.S. Decennial Census
As of the census of 2010, there were 258 people, 94 households, and 72 families residing in the town. There were 111 housing units, of which 94 were occupied. The racial makeup of the town was 91.1% White, 7.8% Black or African American, and 1.2% from some other races. 1.2% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 94 households out of which 31.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 66.0% were married couples living together, 7.4% had a female householder with no husband present, 3.2% had a male householder with no wife present, and 23.4% were non-families. 22.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 14.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.74 and the average family size was 3.22.
The population was spread out with 70.9% 18 years and over, 68.2% 21 years and over, 20.5% 62 years and over, and 19.4% who were 65 years and over. The median age was 39 years.
- Marengo County Heritage Book Committee (2000). The Heritage of Marengo County, Alabama. Clanton, Alabama: Heritage Publishing Consultants. pp. 12–13. ISBN 9781891647581.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
- Marengo County Heritage Book Committee (2000). The Heritage of Marengo County, Alabama. Clanton, Alabama: Heritage Publishing Consultants. pp. 30–31. ISBN 9781891647581.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Sweet Water
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2014". Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. Retrieved June 6, 2013.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2013". Retrieved June 3, 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sweet Water, Alabama.|