Swensons Drive-In is a regional fast food restaurant chain with locations throughout Greater Akron, with the first location opening in 1934, in Akron, Ohio. Wesley T. 'Pop' Swenson started selling his hamburgers in 1933, which he sold out of the back of his station wagon at the newly built Buchtel High School. In 1934, 'Pop' opened the first Swenson's on South Hawkins in Akron near Market Street. 'Pop' owned the restaurant until 1949 when he sold the drive-in to Robert Phillips. In 1952, a second location opened up in North Akron on E Cuyahoga Falls Ave.
Swensons' signature burger is the "Galley Boy" which is a double cheeseburger with 2 sauces. They also have more than 18 different milk shakes and various monthly flavors.
Other locations have been opening up ever since: citation needed][
- Forbes noted Swenson's as "America's Best Burger" in 1999
- Voted Best Burger by Northern Ohio Live 2000-2007
- Voted Best Burger, Milkshake and Service by Akron Life and Leisure
- Voted Best Burger Fox 8 Hot List 2008
- Voted Best Burger Fox 8 Hot List 2009
- Voted Best Burger Fox 8 Hot List 2010
- In 2009, DigitalCity.com put Swenson's on their list of Best Burgers in the USA
- TripAdvisor.com ranks Swenson's #3 out of 70 restaurants in Akron
- On an episode of The Food Network's series Food Feuds entitled Beef Feuds, Swensons was pitted against Skyway for best Juicy Double Cheeseburger in the Akron area.
- "A day at the drive-in | Smart Business". Sbnonline.com. 2001-10-23. Retrieved 2011-07-20.
- "Swensons Cheeseburger | Galley Boy | Akron, Ohio Drive In Restaurant". Swensonsdriveins.com. Retrieved 2011-07-20.
- "Best City Guide | Local Entertainment News | City's Best". Digitalcity.com. Retrieved 2011-07-20.
- "Swenson's Drive-In, Akron - Restaurant Reviews". TripAdvisor. Retrieved 2011-07-20.
- "Food Feuds, Hosted by Michael Symon". Foodnetwork.com. 2010-09-30. Retrieved 2011-07-20.