Swimming at the 1988 Summer Olympics – Men's 50 metre freestyle
|Men's 50 metre freestyle
at the Games of the XXIV Olympiad
|Venue||Jamsil Indoor Swimming Pool|
|Date||24 September 1988 (heats & finals)|
|Competitors||71 from 44 nations|
|Winning time||22.14 WR|
|Swimming events at the
1988 Summer Olympics
U.S. swimmer Matt Biondi demolished a new world record to become the event's first ever Olympic champion. He threw down a scorching time in 22.14 to add a fourth gold and sixth medal to his Olympic hardware, and to slice 0.04 seconds off the record set by South Africa's Peter Williams. Starting the race with a fastest reaction, Biondi's rival and teammate Tom Jager faded down the stretch to pick up the silver in 22.36. Meanwhile, Soviet Union's Gennadiy Prigoda edged out Swiss swimmer Dano Halsall by 12-hundredths of a second to take home the bronze in 22.71.
Prior to this competition, the existing world and Olympic records were as follows.
|World record||Peter Williams (RSA)||22.18||Indianapolis, United States||10 April 1988|
|Olympic record||Inaugural event||—||—||—|
The following records were established during the competition:
|24 September||Heat 8||Matt Biondi||United States||22.39||OR|
|24 September||Final A||Matt Biondi||United States||22.14||WR|
Rule: The eight fastest swimmers advance to final A (Q), while the next eight to final B (q).
|1||4||Feng Qiangbiao||China||23.28||q, WD|
|11||4||Ang Peng Siong||Singapore||23.39|
|14||3||Stephan Güsgen||West Germany||23.55|
|16||1||Hilton Woods||Netherlands Antilles||23.65|
|4||Matt Biondi||United States||22.14||WR|
|6||Tom Jager||United States||22.36|
|5||Gennadiy Prigoda||Soviet Union||22.71|
|6||2||Volodymyr Tkachenko||Soviet Union||22.88|
|7||7||Frank Henter||West Germany||23.03|
- "Swimming at the 1988 Seoul Summer Games: Men's 50 metres Freestyle". Sports Reference. Retrieved 19 March 2017.
- Dodds, Tracy (24 September 1988). "The Seoul Games / Day 9 : Biondi, the Underdog, Ends Up Top Dog Again". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 19 August 2013.
- Husar, John (25 September 1988). "Biondi, Evans Stay On Gold Standard". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 19 August 2013.
- "Seoul 2000: Swimming – Men's 50m Freestyle Heats" (PDF). Seoul 1988. LA84 Foundation. p. 400. Retrieved 19 August 2013.
- "Seoul 2000: Swimming – Men's 50m Freestyle Finals" (PDF). Seoul 1988. LA84 Foundation. p. 401. Retrieved 19 August 2013.