Swimming at the 1992 Summer Paralympics
at the IX Paralympic Games
Swimming at the 1992 Summer Paralympics consisted of 163 events, 88 for men and 75 for women. Because of ties for third place in the women's 50 metre freestyle B3 and men's 50 metre freestyle B2 events, a total of 165 bronze medals were awarded.
Starting in 1992, there was a move away from Les Autres specific classifications to functional based classification systems at the Paralympic Games. This was realized in swimming, where Les Autres sportspeople competed directly against people with other disabilities including cerebral palsy, spinal cord injuries and amputations. As a result, the 1992 Games saw the total number of classes for people with physical disabilities drop from 31 to 10. Still, Sswimming, athletics and table tennis used a classification system for the Barcelona Games that was still mostly medical based.
- Thomas, Nigel (2002). "Sport and Disability" (PDF). pp. 105–124. Retrieved August 1, 2016.
- Richter, Kenneth J.; Adams-Mushett, Carol; Ferrara, Michael S.; McCann, B. Cairbre (1992). "lntegrated Swimming Classification : A Faulted System" (PDF). ADAPTED PHYSICAL ACTIVITY QUARTERLY. 9: 5–13. Retrieved August 1, 2016.
- Gilbert, Keith; Schantz, Otto J.; Schantz, Otto (2008-01-01). The Paralympic Games: Empowerment Or Side Show?. Meyer & Meyer Verlag. ISBN 9781841262659.
- Bailey, Steve (2008-02-28). Athlete First: A History of the Paralympic Movement. John Wiley & Sons. ISBN 9780470724316.
- Brittain, Ian (2016-07-01). The Paralympic Games Explained: Second Edition. Routledge. ISBN 9781317404156.
- Vanlandewijck, Yves C.; Thompson, Walter R. (2016-06-01). Training and Coaching the Paralympic Athlete. John Wiley & Sons. ISBN 9781119045120.
- DePauw, Karen P; Gavron, Susan J (1995). Disability and sport. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics. p. 128. ISBN 0873228480. OCLC 31710003.