Swimming at the 2000 Summer Olympics – Men's 1500 metre freestyle
|Men's 1500 metre freestyle
at the Games of the XXVII Olympiad
|Venue||Sydney International Aquatic Centre|
|Date||September 22, 2000 (heats)
September 23, 2000 (final)
|Competitors||41 from 32 nations|
|Swimming events at the
2000 Summer Olympics
Australia's Grant Hackett denied his teammate and overwhelming favorite Kieren Perkins a third straight title in the event. Having suffered badly over the first six days of the Games, Hackett maintained a strong lead from start to finish, and touched the wall first to claim a gold in 14:48.33. Perkins fought off a challenge against his newest rival in the middle of the program's longest race, but ended up only with a silver in 14:53.59, handing the entire medal haul for the host nation with a 1–2 finish. U.S. swimmer Chris Thompson came up with a spectacular swim to take the bronze in an American record of 14:56.81, holding off a fast-closing Alexei Filipets of Russia (14:56.88) by seven hundredths of a second (0.07). For the first time in Olympic history, all three medalists finished the race under a 15-minute barrier.
South Africa's dark horse Ryk Neethling powered home with a fifth-place effort in a new national record of 15:00.48, while American Erik Vendt, who previously set a continental mark from the trials, faded shortly to sixth in a time of 15:08.61. Ukraine's Igor Chervynskiy (15:08.80) and Germany's Heiko Hell (15:19.87) rounded out the finale.
Prior to this competition, the existing world and Olympic records were as follows.
|World record||Kieren Perkins (AUS)||14:41.66||Victoria, Canada||24 August 1994|
|Olympic record||Kieren Perkins (AUS)||14:43.48||Barcelona, Spain||31 July 1992|
|7||Chris Thompson||United States||14:56.81||AM|
|5||6||Ryk Neethling||South Africa||15:00.48||AF|
|6||5||Erik Vendt||United States||15:08.61|
- "Swimming schedule". Australian Broadcasting Corporation. 14 September 2000. Retrieved 14 May 2013.
- "Hackett denies Perkins gold". News24. 23 September 2000. Retrieved 28 May 2013.
- Lonsbrough, Anita (25 September 2000). "Swimming: Hackett ends Perkins' long reign". ABC News. Retrieved 28 May 2013.
- Whitten, Phillip (23 September 2000). "Olympic Day 8 Finals – Complete". Swimming World Magazine. Retrieved 28 May 2013.
- "Ryk clocks his best time – not good enough for medal". News24. 24 September 2000. Retrieved 28 May 2013.
- "Sydney 2000: Swimming – Men's 1500m Freestyle Heats" (PDF). Sydney 2000. LA84 Foundation. pp. 150–160. Retrieved 28 May 2013.