Swimming at the 2000 Summer Olympics – Women's 800 metre freestyle
|Women's 800 metre freestyle|
at the Games of the XXVII Olympiad
|Venue||Sydney International Aquatic Centre|
|Date||September 21, 2000 (heats)|
September 22, 2000 (final)
|Competitors||28 from 22 nations|
|Winning time||8:19.67 OR|
|Swimming at the|
2000 Summer Olympics
United States' Brooke Bennett became the second swimmer in Olympic history to defend her title in the event, and the fifth to strike a long-distance freestyle double, since Debbie Meyer did so in 1968, Petra Thümer in 1976, Tiffany Cohen in 1984, and the legendary Janet Evans in 1988. She maintained a powerful lead from start to finish before hitting the wall first in 8:19.67, the second-fastest of all time, cutting off Evans' 12-year Olympic record by 0.53 seconds. After effortlessly striking a medley double over the past six days, Yana Klochkova added a silver to her medal tally at these Games, in a scintillating Ukrainian record of 8:22.66. Bennett's teammate Kaitlin Sandeno gave the Americans a further reason to celebrate, as she powered home with a bronze in 8:24.29.
Switzerland's Flavia Rigamonti lost a spirited challenge to Sandeno for the bronze by more than a full body length, but earned a fourth spot in a national record of 8:25.91. She was followed in fifth by Germany's Hannah Stockbauer (8:30.11), and in sixth by China's Chen Hua (8:30.58). Stockbauer's teammate Jana Henke (8:31.97), bronze medalist in Barcelona eight years earlier, and Japan's Sachiko Yamada (8:37.39) rounded out the finale.
Prior to this competition, the existing world and Olympic records were as follows.
|World record||Janet Evans (USA)||8:16.22||Tokyo, Japan||20 August 1989|
|Olympic record||Janet Evans (USA)||8:20.20||Seoul, South Korea||24 September 1988|
The following new world and Olympic records were set during this competition.
|22 September||Final||Brooke Bennett||United States||8:19.67||OR|
|4||Brooke Bennett||United States||8:19.67||OR|
|3||Kaitlin Sandeno||United States||8:24.29|
- "Swimming schedule". Australian Broadcasting Corporation. 14 September 2000. Retrieved 14 May 2013.
- Harris, Beth (22 September 2000). "Bennett Wins Gold in 800m Freestyle". ABC News. Retrieved 15 June 2013.
- "Bennett Doubles in the Distances". Los Angeles Times. 23 September 2000. Retrieved 17 June 2013.
- "Bennett wins 800 meters, second gold". Sports Illustrated. CNN. 22 September 2000. Retrieved 17 June 2013.
- "Bennett sweeps distance races". ESPN. 22 September 2000. Retrieved 9 June 2013.
- Whitten, Phillip (22 September 2000). "Olympic Day 7 Finals (50 Free, 800 Free, 200 Back, 100 Fly)". Swimming World Magazine. Archived from the original on 2013-06-15. Retrieved 13 May 2013.
- "Sydney 2000: Swimming – Women's 800m Freestyle Heats" (PDF). Sydney 2000. LA84 Foundation. pp. 199–202. Retrieved 17 June 2013.
- Dimond, Jeff (October 1989). "Swim and Deliver" (PDF). Swimming World and Junior Swimmer. 30 (10): 41–44. Retrieved 8 June 2008.[permanent dead link]