Swimming at the 2000 Summer Olympics – Women's 400 metre individual medley
|Women's 400 metre individual medley
at the Games of the XXVII Olympiad
|Venue||Sydney International Aquatic Centre|
|Date||September 16, 2000 (heats & final)|
|Competitors||28 from 24 nations|
|Winning time||4:33.59 WR|
|Swimming events at the
2000 Summer Olympics
Yana Klochkova blasted the world record to become Ukraine's first ever Olympic gold medalist in swimming. She pulled away from the rest of the field to hit the wall first with a blistering time of 4:33.59. Her spectacular swim shattered the previous global standard of 4:34.79, set by China's Chen Yan from the 1997 Chinese City Games in Shanghai, and lopped three seconds off an old, drug-tainted 1980 Olympic record from former East Germany's Petra Schneider. Japan's Yasuko Tajima kept the pressure on all the way and took the silver in 4:35.96. Storming from fifth at the halfway turn, Beatrice Câșlaru raced to bronze with a Romanian record of 4:37.18 on the rear of a dominant breaststroke leg.
For the first time in Olympic history, Kaitlin Sandeno shut out the medal podium for the Americans with a fourth-place time of 4:41.03. Germany's Nicole Hetzer finished fifth in 4:43.56, while Sandeno's teammate Maddy Crippen, swimming outside in lane eight, earned a sixth spot in 4:44.63. Canada's Joanne Malar (4:45.17) and Aussie favorite Jennifer Reilly (4:45.99) rounded out the historic finale.
Prior to this competition, the existing world and Olympic records were as follows.
|World record||Chen Yan (CHN)||4:34.79||Shanghai, China||13 October 1997|
|Olympic record||Petra Schneider (GDR)||4:36.29||Moscow, Soviet Union||26 July 1980|
The following new world and Olympic records were set during this competition.
|16 September||Final||Yana Klochkova||Ukraine||4:33.59||WR|
|4||3||Kaitlin Sandeno||United States||4:41.03|
|6||8||Maddy Crippen||United States||4:44.63|
* Also an Olympic, European and Ukrainian record.
- "Swimming schedule". Australian Broadcasting Corporation. 14 September 2000. Retrieved 14 May 2013.
- "Klochkova sets the gold standard". BBC Sport. 16 September 2000. Retrieved 24 June 2013.
- Fitzpatrick, Franz (16 September 2000). "Thorpe Wins Hearts And Gold". The Philadelphia Inquirer. Retrieved 23 June 2013.
- "Swimmer breaks world record, wins first gold for Ukraine". Kyiv Post. 16 September 2000. Retrieved 24 June 2013.
- "Five world records broken on first day of swimming". Sports Illustrated. CNN. 16 September 2000. Retrieved 15 June 2013.
- Whitten, Phillip (16 September 2000). "Olympic Day 1 Finals (Complete)". Swimming World Magazine. Retrieved 23 May 2013.
- Fitzpatrick, Franz (17 September 2000). "Crippen Finishes A Disappointing Sixth The Villanova Student Couldn't Catch The Ukrainian Champ, Who Set A World Record". The Philadelphia Inquirer. Retrieved 23 June 2013.
- "Sydney 2000: Swimming – Women's 400m Individual Medley Heats" (PDF). Sydney 2000. LA84 Foundation. pp. 331–332. Retrieved 24 June 2013.