Swimming at the 2004 Summer Olympics – Men's 200 metre butterfly
|Men's 200 metre butterfly|
at the Games of the XXVIII Olympiad
|Venue||Olympic Aquatic Centre|
|Date||August 16, 2004 (heats &|
August 17, 2004 (final)
|Competitors||39 from 34 nations|
|Winning time||1:54.04 OR|
|Swimming at the|
2004 Summer Olympics
After finishing fifth in Sydney four years earlier, U.S. swimmer Michael Phelps added a second gold to his collection. He touched the wall first in 1:54.04, just 0.11 of a second under his own world record. Japan's Takashi Yamamoto earned a silver medal in an Asian record of 1:54.56. Stephen Parry ended Great Britain's 8-year medal drought with a bronze in 1:55.52. Parry also put his teammate Melanie Marshall on the spot to fulfill her promise of shaving her head if the Brits won a single swimming medal in Athens.
Meanwhile, Poland's Paweł Korzeniowski pulled off a fourth-place effort in a national record of 1:56.00. Defending Olympic champion Tom Malchow rounded out the final to eighth place in 1:57.48, matching his semifinal time in the process.
Prior to this competition, the existing world and Olympic records were as follows.
|World record||Michael Phelps (USA)||1:53.93||Barcelona, Spain||22 July 2003|
|Olympic record||Tom Malchow (USA)||1:55.35||Sydney, Australia||19 September 2000|
The following new world and Olympic records were set during this competition.
|August 17||Final||Michael Phelps||United States||1:54.04||OR|
|1||8||Stephen Parry||Great Britain||1:55.57||Q|
|2||4||Michael Phelps||United States||1:55.65||Q|
|3||5||Tom Malchow||United States||1:57.48||Q|
|6||2||Moss Burmester||New Zealand||1:58.09|
|5||Michael Phelps||United States||1:54.04||OR|
|4||Stephen Parry||Great Britain||1:55.52|
|8||8||Tom Malchow||United States||1:57.48|
- "Swimming schedule". BBC Sport. 5 August 2004. Retrieved 17 June 2007.
- Thomas, Stephen (17 August 2004). "Michael Phelps Takes his Second Gold in the 200 Fly – Misses World Record by Just 0.11 of a Second". Swimming World Magazine. Retrieved 13 May 2013.
- "Two more golds for Phelps". China Daily. 18 August 2004. Retrieved 13 May 2013.
- "Parry wins butterfly bronze". BBC Sport. 17 August 2004. Retrieved 16 March 2013.
- Whitten, Phillip (16 August 2004). "Britain's Stephen Parry Tops Semis in Men's 200 Fly; USA's Phelps, Malchow Qualify for Final". Swimming World Magazine. Retrieved 13 May 2013.