Swimming at the 2008 Summer Olympics – Men's 400 metre individual medley
|Men's 400 metre individual medley
at the Games of the XXIX Olympiad
|Venue||Beijing National Aquatics Center|
|Dates||August 9 (heats)
August 10 (final)
|Competitors||29 from 22 nations|
|Winning time||4:03.84 WR|
|Swimming events at the
2008 Summer Olympics
U.S. swimmer Michael Phelps blasted a new world record to defend his title in the event, and more importantly, claim his first Olympic gold, seventh career, and ninth overall. Phelps expected to get a major challenge from teammate Ryan Lochte, but he pulled away from the field on the breaststroke leg, and then opened up his lead on the freestyle leg to a strong finish in 4:03.84, more than a second faster than his world record from the U.S. Olympic Trials. Hungary's László Cseh earned his first ever Olympic silver medal at these Games, in a European record of 4:06.16. Lochte, who fought off a challenge against Phelps, faded towards the end of the race with a bronze in 4:08.09.
Italian tandem Alessio Boggiatto (4:12.16) and Luca Marin (4:12.47) earned fourth and fifth spots with only 0.31 seconds apart from each other. Hungary's Gergő Kis (4:12.84), Canada's Brian Johns (4:13.38), and Brazil's Thiago Pereira (4:15.40) rounded out the finale.
Prior to this competition, the existing world and Olympic records were as follows.
|World record||Michael Phelps (USA)||4:05.25||Omaha, United States||29 June 2008|||
|Olympic record||Michael Phelps (USA)||4:08.26||Athens, Greece||14 August 2004||-|
The following new world and Olympic records were set during this competition.
|August 9||Heat 4||Michael Phelps||United States||4:07.82||OR|
|August 10||Final||Michael Phelps||United States||4:03.84||WR, OR|
|4||Michael Phelps||United States||4:03.84||WR|
|6||Ryan Lochte||United States||4:08.09|
- "Olympic Swimming Schedule". USA Today. 9 August 2008. Retrieved 14 May 2013.
- Newberry, Paul (10 August 2008). "Michael Phelps sets world record in 400 IM, 1 gold down, 7 to go". New York Times. Retrieved 17 May 2013.
- "Opening statement: Phelps grabs gold, WR in 400 IM". ESPN. 10 August 2008. Retrieved 17 May 2013.
- Lohn, John (10 August 2008). "Michael Phelps Smashes World Record in 400 IM". Swimming World Magazine. Retrieved 17 May 2013.
- Crouse, Karen (30 June 2008). "Rival's fast finish propels Phelps to another record". The New York Times. Retrieved 6 August 2008.