Swimming at the 2008 Summer Olympics – Women's 100 metre breaststroke
|Women's 100 metre breaststroke
at the Games of the XXIX Olympiad
|Venue||Beijing National Aquatics Center|
|Date||August 10, 2008 (heats)
August 11, 2008 (semifinals)
August 12, 2008 (final)
|Competitors||49 from 39 nations|
|Winning time||1:05.17 OR|
|Swimming events at the
2008 Summer Olympics
After winning a silver medal in Sydney and a bronze in Athens, Australia's Leisel Jones stormed home on the final lap to claim an elusive gold in the event. She established an Olympic record of 1:05.17, just eight-hundredths of a second (0.08) off her global standard. Coming from fifth place in the turn, U.S. swimmer Rebecca Soni earned a silver medal in 1:06.73. Finishing fourth from the Olympic trials, she inherited a place in the event after Jessica Hardy's sudden withdrawal from the Games because of a doping irregularity. Meanwhile, Mirna Jukić posted a time of 1:07.34 to settle for the bronze, holding off Russia's Yuliya Yefimova (1:07.43) to fourth place by almost a tenth of a second (0.10).
Megan Jendrick, former Olympic champion from Sydney in 2000, finished fifth with a time of 1:07.62, edging out Aussie Tarnee White (1:07.63) in a close race by a hundredth of a second (0.01). China's Sun Ye (1:08.08) and Japan's Asami Kitagawa (1:08.43) rounded out the finale.
Prior to this competition, the existing world and Olympic records were as follows.
|World record||Leisel Jones (AUS)||1:05.09||Melbourne, Australia||20 March 2006|
|Olympic record||Luo Xuejuan (CHN)||1:06.64||Athens, Greece||16 August 2004|
The following new world and Olympic records were set during this competition.
|August 10||Heat 7||Leisel Jones||Australia||1:05.64||OR|
|August 12||Final||Leisel Jones||Australia||1:05.17||OR|
|1||5||Rebecca Soni||United States||1:07.07||Q|
|8||1||Kirsty Balfour||Great Britain||1:09.23|
|4||2||Megan Jendrick||United States||1:08.07||Q|
|7||7||Kate Haywood||Great Britain||1:08.36|
|8||3||Suzaan van Biljon||South Africa||1:09.56|
|5||Rebecca Soni||United States||1:06.73|
|5||1||Megan Jendrick||United States||1:07.62|
- "Olympic Swimming Schedule". USA Today. 9 August 2008. Retrieved 14 May 2013.
- Lohn, John (12 August 2008). "Olympics, Swimming: Leisel Jones Scares World Record, Gets Olympic Standard in Women's 100 Breast Victory". Swimming World Magazine. Retrieved 20 May 2013.
- "Leisel's Olympic redemption with elusive gold". ABC News. 12 August 2008. Retrieved 19 May 2013.
- "Soni wins silver in women's 100 breast". NBC News. 12 August 2008. Retrieved 20 May 2013.
- Crouse, Karen (2 August 2008). "Swimmer Pulls Out, Upsetting Her Rivals". NBC News. Retrieved 20 May 2013.
- Staff (12 August 2008). "A red-white-and-blue day for U.S. swimmers". The Seattle Times. Retrieved 19 May 2013.
- Lohn, John (12 August 2008). "Olympics, Swimming: Lethal Leisel Jones Crushes Olympic Record in Women's 100 Breast". Swimming World Magazine. Retrieved 20 May 2013.
- Wilson, Caroline (21 March 2006). "Lethal Leisel". The Age. Retrieved 6 August 2008.