- Sorting, filtering, highlighting for tables, trees, and lists
- Login/authentication framework
- TreeTable component
- Collapsible panel component
- Date picker component
- Tip of the day component
The aim of the project is to experiment new or enhanced GUI functionalities that are required by Rich client applications. It acts as a testbed for ideas related to client side technologies.
Integration into Java API
- The GroupLayout manager in Java SE 6.
- Incorporation of the SystemTray in Java SE 6.
- The new Desktop class in Java SE 6, which allows to launch easily associated applications registered on the native desktop, as for example : launching the user-default browser, launching the user-default mail client, launching a registered application to open, edit or print a specified file.
The swingLabs project is divided into several sub-projects. For example:
- swingX: Provides extensions to the Java Swing GUI toolkit.
- JDIC (JDesktop Integration Components): Aims to provide Java applications with seamless desktop integration without sacrificing platform independence.
- nimbus: A Look and feel using synth.
- swingLayout: Was the home of the GroupLayout manager before its inclusion in Java SE 6.
- JDNC: Contained components to simplify the development of Swing-based rich client Java applications. This project has been replaced by the Swing Application Framework (JSR 296).
- scenegraph: A library providing 2D Scene graph functionality to Java 2D, including Swing widgets. This library is used internally by the JavaFX Script language.
- PDFRenderer: A PDF viewing library written in pure Java.
- GroupLayout was initially developed in conjunction with Matisse, the GUI builder of NetBeans.