|Headquarters||Manchester, United Kingdom|
Number of locations
|More than 200|
|Products||Home insurance, motor insurance, business insurance, caravan insurance, bike insurance, van insurance, taxi insurance|
Number of employees
|More than 3,000|
Swinton Insurance is a UK insurance retailer that was established in 1957. It has a network of branches across the United Kingdom and in excess of 3,000 employees. The company offers a range of insurance products from a panel of UK insurers covering car, bike, home, commercial, taxi and caravan insurance.
Swinton was founded in 1957 by Ken Scowcroft (born 1928) who began the car insurance brokerage business from the front room of his semi-detached house in Swinton, Salford. The first premium cost just over £5, and in the first year he sold around 100 policies to local people.
The first Swinton Branch was opened in 1964 in Salford and the branch network originally expanded in the Manchester region before then expanding out to the North West of England. Swinton Insurance was then merged with Denbury Insurance owned by Brian Blake, retaining the Swinton Insurance name. The company became the first insurance franchise and the first to introduce a computer quotations system that is now common amongst major UK insurers. In 1981 Ken Scowcroft's son, Brian Scowcroft, joined the business and worked in a number of different roles including Finance Director  before being appointed Joint Chief Executive in 1985.
In 1988 Swinton was sold to Sun Alliance  for £130m  and in 2001 it changed hands again when it was acquired by MMA Holdings UK Plc. ., which is in turn owned by Covéa SGAM (Société de Group d'Assurance Mutuelle).
By 2008, Swinton had become the third largest insurance retailer in the UK, and the largest in Northern Ireland, managing over three million individual car, home and life insurance policies. Their position in the Northern Ireland market was further bolstered with the acquisition of Open + Direct in 2009.
The Swinton Insurance Group continued their UK-wide acquisition strategy in 2012 with the purchase of Greys Insurance in Burnley. In 2013, they then purchased Stroud based insurers Alexander James Commercial  before agreeing a deal to buy the general insurance book of North Wales-based Anderson Insurance Services in 2014 and the Cleethorpes based C H Turner Insurance Consultants.
Chief Executive Christophe Bardet stepped down at the end of December 2014 and was succeeded by Gilles Normand, formerly the CEO of MMA Holdings UK Plc.
Swinton Insurance has been shortlisted six times at the British Insurance Awards. It won Personal Lines Broker of the Year in 2005, and again in 2008, when the awards were held at The Royal Albert Hall and hosted by Comedian Rob Brydon.
In November 2015, Swinton Insurance was listed 16th in the inaugural FT/Glassdoor Best Places to Work in Finance and Consulting UK rankings.
Swinton is a Feefo Trusted Merchant 2016, a unique accreditation which is based on the experiences of genuine purchase verified customers and reflects consistently high scores in customer service over the course of 2015.
Swinton rose nine places to second place in the Auto Express 'Best car insurance companies 2016' rankings, up from 11th in 2015.
In the 1990s Swinton Insurance ran a TV commercial starring Lady Penelope Creighton-Ward and her Butler Aloysius Parker. The TV Commercial was Directed by Thunderbirds Creator Gerry Anderson and featured recreated models made by David Sisson Models. As part of this advertising campaign, an additional TV Commercial was created featuring Thunderbirds character Brains.
Swinton Insurance is the main sponsor of Swinton Lions RLFC for 2016.
In 2009, Swinton was fined £770,000 by the Financial Services Authority (FSA) for mis-selling payment protection insurance (PPI) policies. In July 2013, Swinton was fined £7.4m by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) in relation to sales of monthly insurance products sold by telephone between April 2010 and April 2012.
Chief Executive Christophe Bardet stated that Swinton had notified these problems to the Financial Services Authority in March 2012 and co-operated fully with the FCA. Swinton acknowledged its shortcomings in its sales practices during the specific period in question, and the company unreservedly apologised to customers. After instigating a full review of the business after his appointment in December 2011, Bardet announced a comprehensive transformation of the business with a three-year, £75m investment programme.
In May 2014 Swinton Insurance was criticised by Welsh Language Commissioner  Meri Huws for prohibiting call centre staff from using Welsh when discussing details of financial products with Welsh speaking customers in Wales.
- Swinton Insurance Page on their formation and history
- Swinton staff and Branch numbers
- Swinton Insurance Product Offering from Bloomberg's Company Profile
- Kenneth Scowcroft year of birth
- Guardian article on Brian Scowcroft the son of Kenneth Scowcroft
- Swinton History and cost of original insurance policy and amount sold
- History of Swinton Insurance from The Guardian June 2004
- MEN article on the history of Swinton Insurance
- Link to information on Brian Scowcroft
- The Guardian Interview with Brian Scowcroft
- Swinton's sale to Sun Alliance headed by Brian Blake
- Evening News confirmation of Swinton Sale figure
- Acquisition of Swinton Insurance in 2001 by MMA
- Swinton Insurance details of Safeguard acquisition
- Manchester Evening News report on acquisition of Deansgate Insurance
- Details of Swinton's growth by 2008
- Details of Swinton acquiring Open + Direct Insurance
- Swinton Insurance acquire Greys Insurance
- Acquisition of Alexander James Insurance
- Swinton Insurance Acquisition of Anderson Insurance Services
- Acquisition of CH Turner in Cleethorpes
- Insurance Age article on new CEO appointment at Swinton Insurance
- British Insurance Awards list of finalists and winners 1995-2014
- Swinton Named Broker of the Year 2008
- Insurance Times Top 50 UK Brokers 2014
- "Feefo Trusted Merchant | The badge of trust online". www.feefo.com. Retrieved 2016-03-17.
- "Best car insurance companies 2016". Retrieved 2016-08-02.
- Swinton insurance first UK insurance broker to advertise on TV
- Man with big glasses TV advert on YouTube
- Swinton Thunderbirds Commercial on YouTube
- David Sisson Models page on the Thunderbirds TV Commercial for Swinton Insurance
- Swinton Brains TV commercial on YouTube
- YouTube link for TV advert featuring John Middleton
- YouTube advert for Swinton featuring The Flintstones
- Swinton Press release on returning to UK TV screens with Attraction
- "Final Notice (To Swinton Group Ltd)" (PDF). Financial Services Authority. 28 October 2009. Retrieved 2014-03-25.
- "FCA fines Swinton Group Limited £7.38 million for mis-selling monthly add-on insurance policies - Financial Conduct Authority". Financial Conduct Authority. 16 July 2013. Retrieved 2014-03-25.
- The Journal article on Swinton insurance fines and customer apology
- Welsh Language Commissioner's findings
- Swinton criticised by Welsh Speaking Commissioner