|Todd Barclay, Edgar Alvarez, Steven Greene, Michael Farley, Abhik Banerji|
Swiss Chalet is a Canadian chain of casual dining restaurants founded in 1954 in Toronto, Ontario. As of 2015, there are over 200 Swiss Chalet restaurants in Canada. Swiss Chalet is among the holdings of Recipe Unlimited, which also owns the fast food chain Harvey's. Swiss Chalet and Harvey's franchises share many locations.
Swiss Chalet franchises include a variety of points of sale. The company's locations generally have an architectural alpine theme, a dining room, a take-out counter, and delivery. Some feature drive-thru windows while other locations in certain urban areas are only take-out counters and are more akin to fast food restaurants. The brand also has an online food ordering system. Recipe Unlimited retails signature Swiss Chalet sauce, gravy, and marinades (as powdered mixes) in Canadian supermarkets.
The first Swiss Chalet restaurant, at 234 Bloor Street West in Toronto, operated for 52 years. The building featured exposed-beam ceilings in the Swiss chalet style. This store closed in 2006 and was demolished in 2009 as part of a condominium development.
In the early 2000s, Cara Operations closed all of its Quebec based restaurants.
The company returned to Saskatchewan with a location in south Regina, although this location no longer shows on their website. In 2008, Air Canada added Swiss Chalet food products to its buy-on-board menu.
In 2010, the last two Swiss Chalet restaurants in the US closed. They were located in the suburbs of Buffalo, New York. On June 1, 2011, the only company restaurant operating in Puerto Rico closed.
On March 31, 2016, the company's parent, Cara Operations, announced that it will acquire St-Hubert, a Quebec-based chain of rotisserie chicken restaurants, in the summer of 2016 for CAD$537 million.
Restaurant fare is based upon its signature item, rotisserie chicken. The Quarter Chicken Dinner, the restaurant's signature dish, includes a roasted chicken leg or breast with "Chalet Sauce", a bread roll and a side dish. The company also purveys some non-chicken items, such as ribs, rotisserie beef, burgers and poutine.
- List of Canadian restaurant chains
- Chicken restaurant
- List of chicken restaurants
- St-Hubert – a similar Quebec-based chain
- Royle, T.; Towers, B. (2004). Labour Relations in the Global Fast-Food Industry. Taylor & Francis. p. 40. ISBN 978-1-134-59762-8. Retrieved November 5, 2017.
- Giorno, Frank (2016-12-22). "2017 brings two favourites Harvey's and Swiss Chalet to Timmins' dining menu". Timmins Today. Retrieved 2017-11-05.
- "Swiss Chalet owner says quarter chicken dinner sales hit by oil slump". Global News. November 12, 2015. Retrieved November 5, 2017.
- The Financial Post Survey of Industrials. Maclean-Hunter. 1991. pp. 169–171. Retrieved November 5, 2017.
- David Paddon (2016-03-31). "In rotisserie chicken marriage, owner of Swiss Chalet buys St-Hubert for $537M". Toronto Star. Retrieved 2017-11-05.
- Relph, E. (2015). Rational Landscapes and Humanistic Geography. Routledge Revivals. Taylor & Francis. p. 78. ISBN 978-1-317-37366-7. Retrieved November 5, 2017.
- "Cara Reports Q3 2017 Results". Business Insider. November 3, 2017. Retrieved November 5, 2017.
- Lau, Andree (February 23, 2017). "Swiss People Try Swiss Chalet Sauce, Insult Canada In A Neutral Way". HuffPost Canada. Retrieved November 5, 2017.
- "Onboard Café" (PDF). Air Canada. Retrieved November 4, 2008.
- "Swiss Chalet lovers trek over the border to get their fix". The Buffalo News. 2013-05-11. Retrieved 2016-07-29.
- "A la quiebra Swiss Chalet". El Nuevo Día. 2014-06-25. Retrieved 2017-11-05 – via Elnuevodia.com.
- Chung, Matthew (2015-02-17). "Cara adds Scene loyalty to its menu". Media in Canada. Retrieved 2017-11-05.
- "Swiss Chalet owner's purchase of St-Hubert chicken chain riles Quebecers". CBC News. March 31, 2016. Retrieved November 5, 2017.
- Paddon, David (2016-03-31). "In rotisserie chicken marriage, owner of Swiss Chalet buys St-Hubert for $537M". Toronto Star. Retrieved 2016-07-29.
- "Cara announces purchase of St-Hubert". investorroom.com. March 31, 2016. Retrieved 2016-07-29.
- Patel, Arti (April 15, 2015). "What Dietitians Would Eat At Swiss Chalet". HuffPost Canada. Retrieved November 5, 2017.
- Sturgeon, Jamie (February 3, 2016). "Chicken dinner demand softening at Swiss Chalet thanks to oil slump. Really". Global News. Retrieved November 5, 2017.
- "Swiss Chalet poutine packed with calories". Metronews.ca. January 27, 2013. Retrieved November 5, 2017.