Sybase Open Watcom Public License
|Debian FSG compatible||No|
The Free Software Foundation has stated that the license is not "free" as it requires the source to be published when you "deploy" the software for private use only. In contrast, FSF's GPL does not require that modified source code has to be made public when the software modification was only used privately without a public release of the software. This makes the Watcom license also GPL incompatible and a stronger copyleft license than the GPL and even the AGPL.
Version 1.0 appears to have been written in 2002. It's publicly released no later than January 8, 2003, the date of the initial release of Open Watcom C/C++.
- "Various Licenses and Comments about Them - Sybase Open Watcom Public License version 1.0 (#Watcom)". gnu.org. Retrieved 2015-12-23.
This is not a free software license. It requires you to publish the source code publicly whenever you “Deploy” the covered software, and “Deploy” is defined to include many kinds of private use.
- "Sybase Open Watcom Public License version 1.0". Approved Licences. Open Source Initiative.
- Debian Bug report #376431 RFP: openwatcom.
- Is the Sybase Open Watcom License ok?, thread on debian-legal mailing list (July 2006).
- Fedora Wiki: Licensing
- Markus Neifer (2004-01-20). "MN Watcom News Page".