Sydenham College of Commerce and Economics
|Motto||Labor Omnia Vincit (Latin)|
Samudyogo hi vishvajita (Sanskrit)
Motto in English
|Work conquers all|
Diligent Efforts Conquer the World
|Affiliation||Dr. Homi Bhabha State University |
Maharashtra State Board of Secondary and Higher Secondary Education
Sydenham College of Commerce and Economics is a prestigious college located in Mumbai which is also the oldest college of commerce in Asia. Affiliated to the Dr. Homi Bhabha State University, the college offers undergraduate and postgraduate degrees in commerce and management. It was awarded a re-accreditation 'A' grade and 3.42 GPA in the first cycle assessment conducted by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council. In the year 2019, Sydenham college was de-affiliated from Mumbai University and affiliated to Maharashtra State's first cluster University named Dr. Homi Bhabha State University
Sydenham College, "the first college of commerce in Asia," was established in October 1913. It was named after the then-governor of Bombay, Lord Sydenham of Combe, who was instrumental in making the undergraduate degree of Bachelor of Commerce possible in Mumbai. This makes Sydenham College the oldest degree-awarding institution in commerce. K.S. Aiyar acted as first honorary principal of the college. It was only in 1941, twenty-eight years after the establishment of Sydenham College, that any other institute started offering courses in the subject.
On the college's seventy-fifth anniversary in 1988, the Indian Post Office issued a commemorative stamp. In 1990, TIME rated Sydenham College as the "Best Commerce College this side of the Suez."
- 1913: The college was run from the Elphinstone College premises in Fort.
- 1914–1922: The college moved to the Whiteway Laidlaw Building on Hornby Road, near the present-day Handloom House in Fort.
- 1922–1955: The college was on the premises of the present-day Sir J. J. College of Architecture in Fort, opposite the Victoria Terminus railway station. It was then known as the Indo-British Institute.
- 1955 onward: In 1955, Sydenham College moved to its current location on "B Road" at Churchgate, very near the terminus of the Western Railway section of the Mumbai suburban railway. It is close to the Marine Drive sea front on the Arabian Sea.
- Government aided courses
- Higher Secondary Certificate - Commerce
- Bachelor of Commerce (since 1913)
- Master of Commerce (since 1925)
- Self financed courses
- Bachelor of Management Studies
- Bachelor of Commerce (Banking and Insurance) (since 2003)
- NSE Certified Market Professional Course
- Vocational Course in Foreign Trade
- Akbar Al Baker, CEO of Qatar Airways
- Ashwin Choksi Entrepreneur, Non-executive chairman of Asian Paints Ltd
- Keki Mistry, Vice Chairman and CEO of HDFC
- Deepak Parekh, Chairman HDFC
- Girish Paranjpe, joint CEO Wipro Technologies
- Krish Iyer President and CEO Walmart India
- Kumar Mangalam Birla
- Nimesh Kampani, Chairman, JM Financial Services Pvt. Ltd.
- Niranjan Hiranandani, Entrepreneur, Co-founder & MD - Hirandani Group
- Pramit Jhaveri, CEO, Citi India
- Rakesh Jhunjhunwala, Investor & Trader
- Ronnie Screwvala, Chairman, UTV
- Sanjiv Mehta (British businessman), owner, East India Company London
- Uday S Kotak, Chairman Kotak Mahindra
- Yogesh Mahansaria founder and CEO multinational Alliance Tire Group
- Ashish Hemrajani Founder Bookmyshow
- Gita Johar, Professor of Business, Columbia Business School
- Indu Shahani, Founding Dean of the Indian School of Management & Entrepreneurship (ISME)
- Jagdish Bhagwati, Economist and Professor of Economics at Columbia University
- Film, theatre and television
- Aditya Chopra, Director & Producer
- Atul Agnihotri, Actor & Director
- Emraan Hashmi, Actor
- Fazila Allana, notable TV producer, founder and MD of Sol Production Pvt. Ltd.
- Gayatri Joshi, Indian actress known for her role in Hindi film Swades
- Hrithik Roshan, Actor
- Juhi Chawla, Actress and Femina Miss India Universe 1984
- Karanvir Bohra, Television Actor
- Lymaraina D'Souza, Indian model and Femina Miss India Universe 1998
- Rahul Bose, Actor
- Rohit Shah, Standup Comedian and Writer
- Sameera Reddy, Indian film actress
- Sanaya Irani, Television Actress
- Sanjay Gupta, film director
- Shamita Shetty, Indian film actress
- Sheetal Mallar, Indian supermodel
- Shiamak Davar, dancer and singer
- Suchitra Krishnamoorthi, Indian pop singer and actress
- Swapnil Joshi, TV actor-comedian
- Vinod Khanna, Actor
- Zeenat Aman, Indian film Actress
- Rajit Kapoor, Actor
- Politics and government
- Meera Sanyal, politician, formerly country head of ABN AMRO and RBS
- Milind Deora, Politician
- Omar Abdullah, Politician
- Praful Patel, Politician
- Vinod Khanna
- "Sydenham College of Commerce and Economics - Our Profile". Archived from the original on 2 April 2016. Retrieved 2 April 2016.
- The Economic Times 13 AUG, 2010