Sydney Airport Holdings
|Traded as||ASX: SYD|
|Industry||Aviation services; Airports|
|Sydney, New South Wales, Australia|
|Revenue||A$1.057 b (2013)|
|A$75 m (2013)|
|Subsidiaries||Sydney Airport Corporation|
|Footnotes / references|
Sydney Airport Holdings (ASX: SYD) is a publicly–listed Australian holding company which owns a 100% interest in Sydney Airport via Sydney Airport Corporation. The company is listed on the Australian Stock Exchange and has its head office located in Sydney, New South Wales.
In 2002, the Macquarie Bank bought a 99-year lease on the airport for $5.6 billion.
The company was known as Macquarie Airports as a combination of trusts managed by Macquarie Group until it was spun off in 2009 to form MAp Airports. MAp owned shareholdings in Brussels and Copenhagen Airports, and an 84.8% stake in Sydney Airport.
In 2011, MAp Airports traded its stakes in the Brussels and Copenhagen airports to the Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan in exchange for the OTPP's 11% stake in Sydney airport. In December 2011, MAp Airports renamed itself Sydney Airport Holdings. The company retained a 1% stake in Bristol Airport until 2013.
In 2013 Sydney Airport Holdings took a 100% stake in Sydney Airport by issuing securities to, or buying out, minority owners of the airport, which included various superannuation funds.
In August 2013, it was revealed that, since the airport had been acquired by the Macquarie Bank in 2002, it didn't pay corporate taxes, even though all other airports in the country did. In November 2013, the Macquarie Bank sold its shares of the airport back to its own shareholders, cashing $377 million in the process.
- "Financial Report for Year Ended 31 December 2013". Sydney Airport Holdings. March 2014. Retrieved 20 December 2014.
- Rebecca Thurlow (18 August 2015). "Qantas Sells Lease on Sydney Airport Terminal". Wsj.com. Retrieved 2016-05-02.
- Matt O'Sullivan (2 November 2013). "Macquarie exits airport stake". Smh.com.au. Retrieved 2016-05-02.
- "Teachers' invests in premier European airports" (Press release). CNW Group. 19 July 2011. Retrieved 23 December 2011.
- ASX Release: Sydney Airport - change of ASX ticker to SYD. Sydney Airport. 2011.
- "Ontario Teachers becomes sole owner of Bristol Airport". Reuters. Retrieved 2015-02-11.
- Full Ownership of Sydney Airport: ATO Resolution and SYD Simplification. Sydney Airport. 2013.
- Michael West (23 August 2013). "Airport's pot of gold". Smh.com.au. Retrieved 2016-05-02.