Sydney Biddle Barrows
||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (June 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Sydney Biddle Barrows|
|Born||January 14, 1952|
|Other names||Sheila Devin
|Alma mater||Fashion Institute of Technology|
|Occupation||Madam, management consultant and writer|
|Spouse(s)||Darnay Hoffman (1994–?)(divorced)[dated info]|
Sydney Biddle Barrows (born January 14, 1952) is an American businesswoman who became known as an escort agency owner under the name Sheila Devin; she later became known as the 'Mayflower Madam'. She has since become a management consultant and writer.
In October 1984, her escort service had been disbanded, and after pleading guilty for promoting prostitution, Barrows wrote a 1986 autobiography, Mayflower Madam: The Secret Life of Sydney Biddle Barrows. A TV movie based on the book was broadcast in 1987, Mayflower Madam, starring Candice Bergen.
Early life, education and career
Barrows comes from the Biddle family of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Her father is Donald Byers Barrows, Jr. (born 1926) and mother is Jeannette Ballantine. She is a graduate of the Fashion Institute of Technology, located in New York City. After graduation, she worked in 1975 as an assistant to Alan Snyder, bath buyer for Abraham & Straus. She was introduced to the world of high-class prostitution and started her own escort service named Cachet, which existed in New York City from 1979 to 1984. Some of its clients included industrialists, high-powered business executives and lawyers, foreign diplomats and Arabian oil sheiks.
In October 1984 her escort service was shut down, and she was charged with promoting prostitution by the Manhattan District Attorney's Office. The name "Mayflower Madam" was coined by a New York Post reporter, Peter Fearon, who broke the story of her Mayflower connections. After her guilty plea, she published a best-selling autobiography, Mayflower Madam: The Secret Life of Sydney Biddle Barrows (1986). Barrows appeared in 1987 on the late-night television series Saturday Night Live, with a parody of her book; the sketch included Candice Bergen, who played the role in the 1987 made-for-TV movie Mayflower Madam. Barrows subsequently wrote two books on sexual etiquette.
In late 2008, Barrows finished Uncensored Sales Strategies: A Radical New Approach to Selling Your Customers What They Really Want - No Matter What Business You're In, co-authored with marketing expert Dan Kennedy. Since the mid-late 1990s, Barrows ran a consulting business with a focus on customer service and experience. She was married to lawyer Darnay Hoffman.
- Mayflower Madam: The Secret Life of Sydney Biddle Barrows (1986). With William Novak. New York City: Arbor House. ISBN 0-87795-722-3, ISBN 0-8041-0150-7.
- Mayflower Manners: Etiquette for Consenting Adults (1990). With Ellis Weiner. New York City: Doubleday. ISBN 0-385-26245-0.
- Just Between Us Girls: Secrets About Men from the Mayflower Madam (1996). With Judith Newman. New York City: St. Martin's Press. ISBN 0-312-13993-4, ISBN 0-312-96047-6.
- Uncensored Sales Strategies: A Radical New Approach to Selling Your Customers What They Really Want – No Matter What Business You're In (2009). With Dan Kennedy. Entrepreneur Press. ISBN 1-59918-193-2, ISBN 978-1-59918-193-6.
- Haden-Guest, Anthony (December 10, 1984). "The Story of the Mayflower Madam". New York. pp. 36–43.
- “East Meets West as Buyers Shop Bath, Bed Show", Home Furnishings Daily, 21 May 1975, p 25.
- Harris, Elizabeth E. (12 May 2011). "Darnay Hoffman Dies at 63; Lawyer With Notorious Clients". The New York Times. Retrieved 11 January 2016.