Antigonish County, Nova Scotia
Location of Antigonish County, Nova Scotia
|Municipalities||County of Antigonish|
|Established||December 16, 1785|
|• MLA||Randy Delorey (Liberal)|
|• MP (Central Nova)||Sean Fraser (L)|
|• MP (Cape Breton-Canso)||Rodger Cuzner (L)|
|• Land||1,457.81 km2 (562.86 sq mi)|
|• Density||13.4/km2 (35/sq mi)|
|• Change 2001–06||3.8%|
| • Census Rankings
- Census divisions
Pomquet & Afton 23
7,730 (470 of 5,008)
6,509 (562 of 5,008)
4,236 (766 of 5,008)
361 (3,453 of 5,008)
|Time zone||AST (UTC-4)|
|• Summer (DST)||ADT (UTC-3)|
Antigonish County, Nova Scotia is a county in the province of Nova Scotia, Canada. It is located in northern Nova Scotia on the Northumberland Strait. The Town of Antigonish and Municipality of the County of Antigonish are the two largest incorporated municipalities in the county.
The County of Sydney was created in 1784. Its boundaries were established by Governor and Council on December 16, 1785.
When St. Mary's Township was established in 1818 it was partly in Sydney County and partly in Halifax County. In 1822 that part of St. Mary's Township which had been in Halifax County was annexed to the County of Sydney.
In 1836 Sydney County was diminished in size when Guysborough County was established out of what had been part of it . In 1863 the name of the County of Sydney was changed to Antigonish County. The word Antigonish is of Mi'kmaq origin, possibly derived from Nalegitkoonecht meaning "where branches are torn off". It is said that there were bears in the area that broke down branches to get beech nuts.
In 2001, the Town of Antigonish applied to annex 1,600 hectares from the surrounding county so it could expand. The Municipality responded that the annexation would hurt its tax base so it instead applied for a total merger, or amalgamation. The issue was sent to the Nova Scotia Utility and Review Board, and in 2005 it was decided that amalgamation of the Town and Municipality would better serve both parties. The board also ordered a plebiscite, promising to consider the results when making a final decision. The results were mixed, with 84% of Municipality residents voting yes to amalgamation and 74% of Town residents voting no. Voter turn-out was 45%. The board ultimately rejected the proposal for amalgamation, citing lack of public support.
Mother tongue language (2011)
Ethnic Groups (2006)
- County municipality and county subdivisions
- Arisaig Provincial Park
- Bayfield Provincial Park
- Beaver Mountain Provincial Park
- Eigg Mountain-James River wilderness area
- Pomquet Beach Provincial Park
- "Honourable Randy Delorey (Liberal)". Nova Scotia Legislature. Retrieved 26 May 2016.
- "Sean Fraser". Parliament of Canada. Retrieved 26 May 2016.
- "Rodger Cuzner". Parliament of Canada. Retrieved 26 May 2016.
- 2006 Statistics Canada Community Profile: Antigonish County, Nova Scotia
- Statistics Canada Population and dwelling counts, for Canada and census subdivisions (municipalities), 2006 and 2001 censuses – 100% data
- "Antigonish (Town), Re, 2006 NSUARB 112 (CanLII)". Canadian Legal Information Institute. 31 October 2006. Retrieved 26 May 2016.
- Censuses 1871-1941
- Statistics Canada: 1996, 2001, 2006 census
- Statistics Canada: 2011 census
- 2006 Statistics Canada Census Ethnocultural Portrait of Canada: Antigonish County, Nova Scotia
|Pictou County||Inverness County|