Sydney E. Ahlstrom
|Sydney E. Ahlstrom|
|Born||Sydney Eckman Ahlstrom
December 16, 1919
|Died||July 3, 1984
New Haven, Connecticut
|Education||Gustavus Adolphus College (BA)
University of Minnesota (MA)
Harvard University (PhD)
|Occupation||Historian of American religion|
|Notable work||A Religious History of the American People|
Ahlstrom was born in Cokato, Minnesota, the son of Joseph T. Ahlstrom (1878-1942) and Selma (Eckman) Ahlstrom (1881-1976), who were Swedish American Lutherans. He graduated from Gustavus Adolphus College in St. Peter, Minnesota with a B.A. degree in 1941, and served in the U.S. Army during World War II. He earned a master's degree at the University of Minnesota in 1946 and a Ph.D. at Harvard University in 1952. He was a Fulbright fellow at the University of Strasbourg, France, and an instructor at Harvard before joining Yale in 1954.
- A Religious History of the American People (1972; 2nd ed. 2004) 1216pp excerpt and text search
- The American frontier and the Protestant missionary response (1960)
- An American reformation: a documentary history of Unitarian Christianity edited with Jonathan S. Carey (1998)
- Theology in America: the major Protestant voices from Puritanism to Neo-Orthodoxy (1967)
- "The Scottish Philosophy and American Theology," Church History, Vol. 24, No. 3 (Sep., 1955), pp. 257–272 in JSTOR
- "Continental Influence on American Christian Thought since World War I," Church History, Vol. 27, No. 3 (Sept 1958), pp. 256–272 in JSTOR
- "Theology and the Present-Day Revival," Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science Vol. 332, Religion in American Society (Nov., 1960), pp. 20–36 in JSTOR
- "Thomas Hooker: Puritanism and Democratic Citizenship: A Preliminary Inquiry into Some Relationships of Religion and American Civic Responsibility," Church History, Vol. 32, No. 4 (Dec., 1963), pp. 415–431 in JSTOR
- "The Radical Turn in Theology and Ethics: Why It Occurred in 1960s," Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science Vol. 387, The Sixties: Radical Change in American Religion (Jan., 1970), pp. 1–13 in JSTOR
- "Religion, Revolution and the Rise of Modern Nationalism: Reflections on the American Experience," Church History, Vol. 44, No. 4 (Dec., 1975), pp. 492–504 in JSTOR
- "The Religious Dimension of American Aspirations," Review of Politics vol. 38, No. 3, Bicentennial Issue (Jul., 1976), pp. 332–342 in JSTOR
- "The Romantic Religious Revolution and the Dilemmas of Religious History The Romantic Religious Revolution and the Dilemmas of Religious History," Church History, Vol. 46, No. 2 (Jun., 1977), pp. 149–170 in JSTOR
- "The Problem of the History of Religion in America," Church History, Vol. 57, Supplement: Centennial Issue (1988), pp. 127–138 in JSTOR
- "Guide to the Sydney Ahlstrom Papers". Divinity Library Special Collections. Yale University Library. March 1990. Retrieved 7 December 2015.
- "National Book Awards – 1973". National Book Foundation. Retrieved 2012-03-08.
- "Sydney Eckman Ahlstrom, Scholar of Religious History". New York Times. 4 July 1984. Retrieved 7 December 2015.
- "Book of Members, 1780-2010: Chapter A" (PDF). American Academy of Arts and Sciences. Retrieved 6 April 2011.