Sydney Howard Vines
Sydney Howard Vines FRS (31 December 1849 – 4 April 1934) was a British botanist and academic. He was Sherardian Professor of Botany at Oxford University from 1888 to 1919, and served as President of the Linnean Society of London from 1900 to 1904. He directed the publication of the Annals of Botany from 1887 to 1899.
Education and career
Vines studied at Christ's College, Cambridge, obtaining his Bachelor of Science in 1873, Bachelor of Arts in 1876, Master of Arts in 1879, and his doctorate in 1883. He became a member of the Linnean Society of London in 1885.
Vines' works include:
- Lectures on the physiology of plants. University press. 1886.
- A Student's Text-book of Botany. S. Sonnenschein & Company. 1896.
- Science Lectures at South Kensington (1878),
- An Elementary Text-Book of Botany ... With 397 Illustrations. London. 1905.
- A Course of Practical Instruction in Botany. 1887. ISBN 978-0-554-86700-7.
- Text-book of Botany, Morphological and Physical (1892),
- An Account of the Herbarium of the University of Oxford. 1897.
- An Elementary Text-book of Botany: From the German of Dr. K. Prantl (1898), The Dillenian Herbaria, (1907).
- r., A. B. (1934). "Sydney Howard Vines. 1849-1934". Obituary Notices of Fellows of the Royal Society. 1 (3): 185. doi:10.1098/rsbm.1934.0003.
- "Prof. S. H. Vines, F.R.S". Nature. 133 (3363): 562–560. 1934. doi:10.1038/133562c0.
- Allen G. Debus (dir.) (1968). World Who’s Who in Science. Debus (ed.) (1968). World Who's Who in Science. A Biographical Dictionary of Notable Scientists from Antiquity to the Present. Marquis-Who’s Who (Chicago) : xvi + 1855 p. A Biographical Dictionary of Notable Scientists from Antiquity to the Present.-Marquis Who's Who (Chicago): xvi + 1855 p.
- "Vines, Sydney Howard (VNS872SH)". A Cambridge Alumni Database. University of Cambridge.
- IPNI. Vines.
|Wikisource has original works written by or about:
Sydney Howard Vines
|This article about a British botanist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|