|Sydney Lyric Theatre|
|Address||Pirrama Road, Pyrmont
|Owner||Foundation Entertainment Group|
|Current use||Musicals, theatre, concerts, opera, ballet|
Sydney Lyric is a theatre in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia. It is part of The Star casino complex. The theatre is used for large scale musicals, theatre productions, concerts, opera and ballet. Formerly the Lyric Theatre, the venue changed to its current name in late 2011.
Sydney Lyric Theatre Pty Limited has been owned and operated by the Foundation Entertainment Group Limited since October 2011. Foundation Entertainment Group Pty Limited owns the Sydney Lyric and Capitol Theatre.
In February 2017, the Sydney Lyric underwent a $12 million auditorium upgrade that made the theatre going experience even more enjoyable, and importantly assist the Sydney Lyric in attracting more premieres of Australian, Broadway & West End musicals as well as first class opera and ballet. These works completed the upgrade of the whole theatre, encompassing foyers, bars & box office which were completed in 2014. The total expenditure on these upgrades is in excess of $18 million.
The theatre was built as part of the casino complex initially known as Star City and now as The Star, and first opened in September 1997 with its first act being Michael Crawford and has since then played most to many well known musicals and entertainers.
- 2017 - Ladies in Black, The Bodyguard (Australian Premiere), Beautiful (Australian Premiere)
- 2016 - Shen Yun, We Will Rock You, Singin' in the Rain, Dream Lover (World Premiere)
- 2015 - Matilda The Musical (Australian Premiere), The Rocky Horror Show, Le Noir - The Dark Side of Cirque, Thriller - Live
- 2014 - Strictly Ballroom (World Premiere), Dirty Dancing
- 2013 - War Horse, Hot Shoe Shuffle, Blue Man Group, Grease
- 2012 - Legally Blonde the Musical (Australian premiere). An Officer and a Gentleman (world premiere), Frankie Valli & the Four Seasons
- 2011 - Annie (2011–12), Richard III starring Kevin Spacey, Elton John Live, An Evening with Al Pacino, Stevie Wonder Live, Hairspray, Doctor Zhivago (world premiere)
- 2010 - Cats, West Side Story
- 2009 - Mamma Mia, Chicago, Buddy
- 2008 - Priscilla Queen of the Desert (return), The Phantom of the Opera, Shout
- 2007 - Miss Saigon
- 2006 - Priscilla Queen of the Desert - the Musical (world premiere 2006-07), Dusty
- 2005 - The Producers
- 2004 - We Will Rock You (2004–05), Lisa Marie Presley, Cirque Dreams, Shanghai Circus, Sleeping Beauty on Ice, Saturday Night Fever
- 2003 - The Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe
- 2002 - Mamma Mia, Oliver, Pirates of Penzance
- 2001 - The Wizard of Oz, Hale and Pace, Singing in the Rain, Michael Ball, Petula Clark
- 2000 - Annie, Tony Bennett, Jerry Lewis, Al Jarreau, Peter Ustinov
- 1999 - The Merry Widow, Geraldine Turner, Kamahl, Adam Brand, Popcorn, Tony Bennett, The Sound of Music
- 1998 - Julio Iglesias, An Ideal Husband, Show Boat
- 1997 - Michael Crawford, Natalie Cole, Peter Paul and Mary, Elisa Chan, Kenny Gee, K.D.Lang, Air Supply
The Sydney Lyric threatre is located in The Star casino complex, which is in the suburb of Pyrmont, an inner-city suburb of Sydney in the state of New South Wales, Australia. Pyrmont is located 2 kilometres south-west of the Sydney central business district in the local government area of the City of Sydney. It is also part of the Darling Harbour district. Pyrmont was once a vital component of Sydney's industrial waterfront, with wharves, shipbuilding yards, factories and woolstores. As industry moved out, the population and the area declined. In recent years it has experienced redevelopment with an influx of residents and office workers.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sydney Lyric.|