Sydney Prior Hall
Sydney Prior Hall
|Known for||Portrait painter, Children's Literature|
The son of animal portraitist Harry Hall, Sydney Hall was educated at Merchant Taylors' School. He decided on a career as an artist while at Oxford University and joined the staff of The Graphic, an illustrated newspaper, shortly after its foundation in late 1869. He immediately established his name with a series of vivid drawings made at the front during the Franco-Prussian War.
As stated in the contemporary publication The Art Journal, his drawings of the Parnell Commission were among his finest achievements in the medium of graphic journalism: "he was in court the whole time, busy with a swift revealing pencil which missed no turn of affairs".
Escaped Leopard Battles with Dogs at Raglan Castle, circa 1875, by Sydney P. Hall
- "Hall, Sydney Prior". Who's Who. Vol. 59. 1907. p. 763.
- Biography of Harry Hall Archived 2008-05-17 at the Wayback Machine. at www.johnbennettfinepaintings.com (Accessed 9 August 2008), derived from:
Christopher Wood (Ed.), The Dictionary of Victorian Painters ISBN 0-902028-72-3 & ISBN 978-0-902028-72-2 (Antique Collectors' Club Ltd, 1978); and
Sally Mitchell (Ed.), The Dictionary of British Equestrian Artists ISBN 0-907462-42-1 & ISBN 978-0-907462-42-2 (Antique Collectors' Club Ltd, 1985).
- Minchin, J. C. G., Our public schools, their influence on English history; Charter house, Eton, Harrow, Merchant Taylors', Rugby, St. Paul's Westminster, Winchester (London, 1901), p. 195.
- Sydney Prior Hall (1842-1922), Portrait painter and illustrator at www.npg.org.uk
- Morris L. Bierbrier, ed., Who was Who in Egyptology, ISBN 0-85698-125-7, 1995, London, p. 186-7.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sydney Prior Hall.|
- Four paintings by Sir Sydney Hall in the Royal Collection of Queen Elizabeth II
- Some sketches by Sir Sydney Hall (part of a collection of 146 held by the National Portrait Gallery (London) which were donated in 1929 by the artist's son, Harry Reginald Holland Hall)
- Drawings of Canada in 1881 by Sydney Hall (Hall was a member of the press party which accompanied the Governor General of Canada, Sir John Douglas Campbell, on a much-publicised tour to promote the agricultural potential of western Canada).
- Portrait of the three daughters of King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra by Sydney Prior Hall (oil on canvas, 1883, National Portrait Gallery, London)
- Pencil drawing of William Ewart Gladstone by Sydney Prior Hall