Syed Ahmad Syed Mahmud Shahabuddin
This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Yang Amat Berbahagia Tun Datuk Seri Utama
Syed Ahmad Syed Mahmud Shahabuddin
|4th Menteri Besar of Kedah|
|5th Yang di-Pertua Negeri of Malacca|
4 December 1984 – 3 June 2004
|Preceded by||Syed Zahiruddin Syed Hassan|
|Succeeded by||Mohd Khalil Yaakob|
4 May 1925|
Kulim, Kedah, Unfederated Malay States, British Malaya
|Died||7 July 2008
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
|Political party||United Malays National Organisation (UMNO)|
|Spouse(s)||Sharifah Haniffah Syed Alwi (died 1993)
Marfuza Sheikh Mohd Osman
Tun Datuk Seri Utama Syed Ahmad Syed Mahmud Shahabuddin (4 May 1925 – 7 July 2008) was a Malaysian politician. He was the Menteri Besar of Kedah from 1967 to 1978 and the fifth Yang di-Pertua Negeri (Governor) of Melaka state from 1984 until 2004.
Syed Ahmad was born on 4 May 1925 in Kulim, Kedah, Malaysia. He is the third son of five brothers and sisters. Syed Ahmad received his early education at Sekolah Melayu Kulim (Kulim Malay School) in 1932 till 1935 and continued his education at the Sultan Abdul Hamid College, Alor Star till he passed his Senior Cambridge Examination in 1947.
Syed Ahmad had wide experience and actively engaged in politics. He was the Kedah UMNO Assistant Secretary (1951–1954), Secretary Kedah UMNO (1954–1967), Chairman, UMNO State Liaison Committee and Kedah National Front (1967–1978), UMNO Supreme Council Member (1968–1978), and Deputy chairman, UMNO State Liaison Committee and Kedah National Front (1978–1984).
Syed Ahmad was appointed as Menteri Besar of Kedah (1967–1978) and Deputy Minister, Ministry of Home Affairs (1978–1982 and Malaysia's High Commissioner to Singapore (1982–1984). In 1984, He was appointed as the fifth Yang di-Pertua Negeri (Governor) of Melaka state.
Syed Ahmad married Toh Puan Sharifah Haniffah Syed Alwi in 1950 and they are blessed with six children. Toh Puan died on 5 July 1993 in Kuala Lumpur. In 1960, H.E. Tun married Toh Puan Datuk Seri Datin Seri Utama Marfuza Sheikh Mohd Osman and they are blessed with 4 children.
Syed Ahmad died on 7 July 2008 at his house in Taman Tun Dr Ismail, Kuala Lumpur. He was 83 years old. His body was buried at Melaka's State Heroes Mausoleum (Makam Pahlawan Negeri) near Al Azim Mosque in Malacca Town, Melaka. He was the first state leader to be buried there.
- The Sekolah Kebangsaan Tun Syed Ahmad Shahabuddin at Hang Tuah Jaya, Ayer Keroh was named after him.
- The Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan Syed Ahmad at Kuala Nerang was also named after him.
- There is the mosque Masjid Tun Syed Ahmad Al-Haj in Bukit Beruang, Melaka was named after him.
Honours and titles
He has been awarded :
He held the title of "Tun Datuk Seri Utama" by combination of his highest Federal Malaysian title "Tun" (SMN) and his highest Malaccan title "Datuk Seri Utama" (DUNM)
In other states of Malaysia, a similar combination between his highest Federal Malaysian title "Tun" (SMN) and his local highest title may be used. Example : Tun Datuk Seri Panglima in Sabah.
Honours of Malacca
- As 5th Yang di-Pertua Negeri of Malacca 4 December 1984 – 3 June 2004 )
Honours of Malaysia
- Malaysia :
- Grand Commander Order of the Defender of the Realm (SMN, 1989) with title Tun
- Grand Commander of the Order of Loyalty to the Crown of Malaysia (SSM, 1987) with title Tun
- Commander of the Order of Loyalty to the Crown of Malaysia (PSM) with title Tan Sri
- Companion of the Order of the Defender of the Realm (JMN)
- Kedah :
- Selangor :
- Knight Grand Commander of the Order of the Crown of Selangor (SPMS) with title Dato' Seri
- Sabah :
- The Fifth Speaker of Malacca
- Official Website of the Governor of Malacca, Biography with details
- "Senarai Penuh Penerima Darjah Kebesaran, Bintang dan Pingat Persekutuan Tahun 1989" (PDF).
- "Senarai Penuh Penerima Darjah Kebesaran, Bintang dan Pingat Persekutuan Tahun 1987" (PDF).
Syed Zahiruddin Syed Hassan
|Yang di-Pertua Negeri of Malacca
Mohd Khalil Yaakob