Syed Ahmed (politician)
|16th Governor of Manipur|
16 May 2015 – 27 September 2015
|Preceded by||Krishan Kant Paul|
|Succeeded by||V. Shanmuganathan|
|8th Governor of Jharkhand|
4 September 2011 – 15 May 2015
|Preceded by||M. O. H. Farook|
|Succeeded by||Draupadi Murmu|
6 March 1945|
|Died||27 September 2015
|Political party||Indian National Congress|
|Spouse(s)||Smt. Syed Hasan Tara|
Syed Ahmed (6 March 1945 – 27 September 2015) was an Indian politician, author and a member of the Congress Party. He was sworn in as the sixteenth Governor of Manipur on 16 May 2015, but only served four months before dying in office on 27 September. During his tenure as Manipur Governor, Manipur Tenants, Visitors and Migrant Workers Bill, 2015 was passed by the Manipur Assembly on 15 March.
He died of cancer on 27 September 2015 at Lilavati hospital, Mumbai, India. He was survived by his wife and son.
Ahmed held two master's degrees in both Hindi and English and a doctorate in Urdu. He has written an autobiography, Pagdandi se Shahar Tak. His other works include Maktal se Manzil, Kafas se Chaman and Jange-Azaadi Me Urdu Shayari.
Ahmed joined the Indian National Congress in 1977. He was elected to the Vidhan Sabha five times as a representative of the Nagpada constituency in Mumbai. He also served as a state minister in Maharashtra.
On 26 August 2011, Indian President Pratibha Patil appointed Ahmed as the eighth Governor of the northern state of Jharkhand. He was chosen to succeed M. O. H. Farook, who was appointed Governor of Kerala on the same day by President Patil. Syed Ahmed was sworn in as the Governor of Jharkhand on 4 September 2011. Ahmed was administered the oath of office by acting Jharkhand Chief Justice Prakash Chandra Tatiya at the state Raj Bhavan. Dr Syed Ahmad was shifted to Manipur in May 2015.
On 16 May 2015, Dr Syed Ahmad was sworn in as the Governor of Manipur at the Raj Bhavan in Imphal. Chief Justice of Manipur High Court Laxmi Kanta Mohapatra administered the oath of office and secretary to Dr Syed Ahmad.
- Iboyaima Laithangbam (30 September 2015). "Shanmuganathan sworn in as Manipur Governor". The Hindu.
- "Dr Syed Ahmad sworn in as Governor of Manipur". ibnlive. 2015-05-16. Retrieved 2015-05-18.
- "Manipur Guv Syed Ahmed passes away in Mumbai". intoday.in.
- Rahi Gaikwad. "Manipur Governor Syed Ahmed passes away". The Hindu.
- PTI. "Manipur governor Syed Ahmed dies in Mumbai". http://www.livemint.com/. External link in
- "New governor to take oath today". Times of India. 2011-09-04. Retrieved 2011-09-08.
- "K Rosaiah, Ram Naresh Yadav named governors". Times of India. 2011-08-27. Retrieved 2011-09-08.
M. O. H. Farook
|Governor of Jharkhand
Krishan Kant Paul
|Governor of Manipur
May – September 2015