Syed Ali Nasir Saeed Abaqati
|Syed Ali Nasir Saeed Abaqati Musavi
Agha Roohi addressing a Majlis
|Born||- Lucknow, India|
Kintoori Musavi Sayyid
|Creed||Usuli Twelver Shi`a Islam|
Maulana Syed Ali Nasir Saeed Abaqati popularly known as Agha Roohi is a Shia scholar from Lucknow, India and hails from the eminent family of Ayatullah Syed Mir Hamid Hussain Musavi whose book `Abaqat al'anwar fi imamat al 'A'immat al'athar is popular among Twelver Shi'a scholars worldwide, and quoted even today.
His family is renowned and respected in Lucknow, where his father Saeed-ul-Millat Maulana Syed Mohammad Saeed and grandfather Maulana Syed Nasir-ul-Millat enjoyed much respect in their lifetimes. His ancestral town is Kintoor, Barabanki, Uttar Pradesh and he traces his lineage to the Prophet of Islam via Imam Musa al-Kazim, hence the name "Musavi".
He is the first cousin of khateeb ul imaan, sher e Hindustan marhoom Tahir Jarwali.
He has two younger brothers Syed Husain Nasir Saeed Abaqati and Maulana Syed Sajjad Nasir Saeed Abaqati. He has two sons Syed Abbas Nasir Saeed Abaqati and Syed Murtaza Nasir Saeed Abaqati and currently resides in the famous Nasirya Library in Lucknow.
His majalis (religious lectures)
He recites the ashra-e-majalis (religious lecture to commemorate the Martyrdom of Hazrat Imam Hussain, spanning ten days) at Shia PG College (at Victoria Street in Nakhas) in morning and at Agha Mahal in evening.
Maulana Agha Roohi is an exponent of Tabarra, openly curse the enemies of Hussainiyat, the killers of Hazrat Imam Hussain.
Involvement in community matters, demonstrations and rallies
- He has been involved in issue related to Mazar-e-Shahid Salis in Agra.
- In 2006 he was removed from the board of Shia college, Lucknow.
- In May 2006 he opposed 'new model nikahnama' for the Shia community issued by All India Shia Personal Law Board, headed by Maulana Mirza Mohammed Athar.
- He held al-Qaeda responsible for 2006-2007 destruction of the Al-Askari Mosque in Samarra, Iraq.
- In 2009 Law Commission’s report on bigamy resulted in opposition from All India Muslim Personal Law Board, Agha Roohi suggested Law Commission to talk to clerics over this issue.
- On 14 November 2010 he and fellow cleric Kalbe Jawad tried to stop the annual meeting of the board of trustees at Shia Post Graduate Degree College because it was being held on a Sunday. The men were taken into preventive custody but were released when violent protests broke out.
- Scholarship in a sayyid family of Avadh I: Musavī Nīshāpūrī of Kintūr
- Leader of Heaven #18
- Roots of North Indian Shi‘ism in Iran and Iraq Religion and State in Awadh, 1722-1859, by J. R. I. Cole, UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA PRESS Berkeley · Los Angeles · Oxford
- Burke, Edmund; Abrahamian, Ervand; Lapidus, Ira Marvin (1988). Islam, Politics, and Social Movements. University of California Press. p. 284. ISBN 978-0-520-06868-1.
- Jones, Justin (2011). Shi'a Islam in Colonial India Religion, Community and Sectarianism. Cambridge University Press. p. 243. ISBN 978-1-139-50123-1.
- Old city immersed in Moharrum solemnity, Feb 24, 2004
- Shia ulema at odds over shrine control, HT Correspondent, Lucknow, April 09, 2006
- Shia clerics at dispute over Shia college, Masoodul Hasan, Lucknow, December 19, 2006
- Now, a model nikahnama only for Shias, M Hasan, Lucknow, May 29, 2006
- Sadiq, Jawad blame US; Abaqati puts it on Qaeda, Article from: The Hindustan Times, Article date: June 15, 2007
- Keep off, clerics tell law panel; to meet PM, M. Hasan, Hindustan Times, Lucknow, August 07, 2009
- Cleric detained, supporters go on rampage in Lucknow, Express news service, Mon Nov 15 2010, 04:28 hrs
- Shia Sunni clash in Lucknow during Muharram, 18 December 2010 - 11:04pm