|Died||1 October 2009 (aged 72)|
|Occupation||Actor, producer, director|
Syed Kamal or simply called Kamal (Urdu: سیّد کمال; (27 April 1937 – 1 October 2009) was a Pakistani film and TV actor, producer and director. He had worked in 4 Bollywood films before migrating to Pakistan in 1956.
Early life and career
Syed Kamal was born in Meerut, Uttar Pradesh, British India on 27 April 1937. Syed Kamal was a popular film star in the 1960s and the 1970s. Kamal, whose film Tauba (1963) became a success at the box office, had a striking resemblance to the Indian filmstar Raj Kapoor, and he was not evasive about this issue. He once said, "People used to mistake me for Raj Kapoor while I was in Bombay and I enjoyed it". In fact, according to Pakistani script writer Ali Sufyan Afaqi, Kamal used to practice Raj Kapoor's scenes in front of a mirror. Kamal's first appearance in his Pakistani movie by producer Shabab Keranvi Thandi Sarak (1957) was meant to resemble Raj Kapoor. Syed Kamal won a Nigar Award (Special Award) for film Behan Bhai (1968) and also a Nigar Award ('Lifetime Achievement Award') in 2000.
Achievements and awards
Among his other activities, he founded the Karachi Film Guild and Pakistan Film and TV Academy.
After retirement from films, he began acting in Pakistan Television dramas at a fairly advanced age. His most notable TV appearance is in hit TV drama Kashkol in which he played a wealthy businessman whose son (played by his real life son, Ghalib Kamal) becomes addicted to heroin.
Death and legacy
Syed Kamal died on 1 October 2009 at Karachi after a lingering illness at age 72. He had been a heart patient for many years and had fallen accidentally at his home about a month ago. He was bedridden since his fall. His survivors include his wife, his son Ghalib Kamal and three daughters.
Paying tributes to Syed Kamal, the president of Hum TV, Sultana Siddiqui said that Syed Kamal belonged to a respectable family and had encouraged many people to join the Pakistan film industry. Film script writer Pervaiz Kaleem, film director Aslam Dar, actress Babra Sharif and actor Ghulam Mohiuddin also paid their tributes to Syed Kamal.
Syed Kamal's notable films as an actor:
- Thandi Sarak (1957)
- Sawera (1959)
- Apna Paraya (1959)
- Banjaran (1962)
- Tauba (1963)
- Aashiana (1964)
- Aisa Bhi Hota Hai (1965)
- Behan Bhai (1968)
- Nai Laila Naya Majnoon (1969)
- Road To Swat (1970)
- Insan Aur Gadha (1973)
The following films were directed by Syed Kamal:
- Shehnai (1968) starring (Syed Kamal-Deeba)
- Insaan Aur Gadha (1973) starring (Syed Kamal-Nisho-Rozina)
- Yahan Say Wahan Tak starring (Syed Kamal-Mumtaz)
- Honeymoon (1970) starring (Syed Kamal-Husna-Rozina)
- Roop Behroop starring (producer-director-actor Syed Kamal opposite Nisho)
- Doosri Maan starring (Syed Kamal-Shamim Ara)
- Meray Bacchay Meri Aankhein starring (Syed Kamal-Deeba)
- Dard-E-Dil starring (Syed Kamal and Zeba)
- Aaliya starring (Syed Kamal and Shamim Ara)
- Jatt Kurrian Taun Darda (1976) A Punjabi film, starring Syed Kamal, Neelo and Aslam Pervaiz
- Ajj Dian Kurrian (1977) A Punjabi film, starring Syed Kamal and Neelo
- Kal De Munday (1978)
- Jat Kamala Gaya Dubai (1984)
- Siyasat (1986)
- Film star Syed Kamal passes away Dawn (newspaper), Published 2 Oct 2009, Retrieved 23 February 2019
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 5 February 2016.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link) Syed Kamal's filmography on Complete Index To World Film (CITWF) website, Retrieved 23 February 2019
- Actor Kamal dies The Nation (newspaper), Published 2 October 2009, Retrieved 24 February 2019
- Syed Kamal 1937 – 2009 The News International (newspaper), Published 2 October 2009, Retrieved 24 February 2019
- 1968 Nigar Award for Syed Kamal for film Behan Bhai Retrieved 23 February 2019
- Syed Kamal's Special Nigar Award (Lifetime Achievement Award) on Motion Pictures Archive of Pakistan (mpaop.org) website Retrieved 15 February 2020
- "Famous actor Syed Kamal passes away- Koolstars.com News". 2 October 2009. Retrieved 23 February 2019
- Syed Kamal in film Shehnai (1968) on Complete Index To World Film (C.I.T.W.F.) website Retrieved 23 February 2019
- Syed Kamal in film Honeymoon (1970) on C.I.T.W.F. website Retrieved 23 February 2019
- Syed Kamal in film Jatt Kurrian Taun Darda (1976) on Complete Index To World Film (C.I.T.W.F.) website Retrieved 23 February 2019