Syed Ziaur Rahman
Prof. Syed Ziaur Rahman
|Alma mater||Aligarh Muslim University & University of Western Sydney|
|Awards||Servier Young Investigator Award of IUPHAR, International Union of Basic and Clinical Pharmacology|
Syed Ziaur Rahman is a permanent member of 'Board of Trustees' and Chair of the Advisory Council (Section 3), International Association of Medical Colleges (IAOMC). He also serves as elected secretary of IAOMC and Society of Pharmacovigilance, India (SoPI).
Family Background & Education
He earned his matriculation in 1987 from Minto Circle, graduation (MBBS) in 1995 and postgraduation (MD) in 2000 from Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College, a part of Aligarh Muslim University, India. His PhD thesis was a part of the project on health, medications and lifestyle factors in relation to self-rated memory from UWS School of Medicine, University of Western Sydney, Australia.
Contribution in medical science
Rahman contributed in the area of Alternatives to animal testing. He believed in the philosophy of '3Rs" of Russell and Burch" on humane experimental pharmacology. He gave series of lectures during 2004 at "Alternatives, Animal Welfare and the Curriculum – A training Seminar and Workshop" in different cities of India. He addressed in the meetings of International Network for Humane Education (InterNICHE) and International Centre for Alternatives in Research and Education (I-CARE). On the recommendation of Medical Council of India (MCI), and after getting survey related to the attitude of undergraduate medical students towards Alternatives to animal testing and Animal experiments, he initiated and established a separate lab on "Alternatives to Animal Experimentation" in the Department of Pharmacology at Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College. This was the first attempt in any medical college of India to have an exclusive lab where experimental work on animals was demonstrated by Computer aided education. In addition, he edited "A guide to alternatives to animal experiment in pharmacology", which was included in the curriculum of second professional MBBS course. He even translated few papers into Urdu in the field of Alternatives to animal testing.
Rahman also works in the field of Traditional medicine with special reference to Unani medicine. While working on morphine de-addiction properties of medicinal plants, he proposed a modified method for moderately and severely induced morphine dependent rats. He specifically screened Delphinium denudatum for its protective activity in morphine induced physical dependence.
His other field of works is Pharmacovigilance and Pharmacoepidemiology. In the field of Pharmacovigilance, he gave the concept of Pharmacoenvironmentology and differentiated the term Ecopharmacology from Pharmacoenvironmentology. However, some scientists also suggest the term, 'EcoPharmacovigilance' and 'PharmEcovigilance' in place of Pharmacoenvironmentology. He started as editor-in-chief, the official journal of the Society of Pharmacovigilance, India (SoPI) in 2003 – "Journal of Pharmacovigilance & Drug Safety (ISSN 0972-8899)"
Rahman is a founder Trustee of Ibn Sina Academy of Medieval Medicine and Sciences. He bequeathed his ancestral property worth of crores of rupees to this Academy. In the Academy, he arranged many medical camps on the occasion of World AIDS Day, World Health Day and World Tuberculosis Day.
Rahman is a fellow and member of many professional academic bodies such as 'Fellow of International Medical Sciences Academy' (FIMSA), 'Elected Member of National Academy of Medical Sciences, India' (MAMS), Indian Science Congress Association, Indian Medical Association, Safety Pharmacology Society, Australian and New Zealand Society of the History of Medicine, Australasian Society of Clinical and Experimental Pharmacologists and Toxicologists, International Society for Neurochemistry, International Brain Research Organization, IndiaCLEN (Regional network of INCLEN), Indian Science News Association (Science and Culture), Association of Physiologists and Pharmacologists of India, Indian Pharmacological Society and Academics of Indian origin, Australia.
- International Alumni Leadership Award, Western Sydney University, Australia, 2018
- Pharma Ratan Award 2017 - Excellence in Healthcare, RDM, India, 26.11.2017
- International Postgraduate Research Scholarship, Western Sydney University, Australia, 2009-2012
- ISN Fellowship, 20th Biennial Meeting of the ISN-European Society for Neurochemistry (ESN), Austria, 2005.
- ISN Fellowship, First Special Neurochemistry Conference, International Society for Neurochemistry (ISN), France, 2004
- WHO Fellowship, Second International Conference on Improving Use of Medicines (ICIUM 2004), Thailand, 2004
- WHO Fellowship, 2nd Asian Course on Problem-Based Pharmacotherapy Teaching, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, Malaysia, 2003.
- APSN Fellowship, 6th Biennial Meeting of the Asia Pacific Society for Neurochemistry, 2004, Hong Kong.
- SPS Junior Scientist Award, Safety Pharmacology Society, USA, 2005 & 2006.
- The African Institute of Biomedical Science and Technology (AiBST) Scholarship, Kenya, 2003
- John Autian Travel Award, Annual Conference of Indian Pharmacological Society, India, 1998 and 2002.
- Syed Ziaur Rahman; M. Tariq Salman (2007). A Guide to the Alternatives to Animal Experimentation (fourth ed.). Ibn Sina Academy of Medieval Medicine and Sciences. ISBN 9788190607087.
- Rahman, Syed Ziaur (2008). An Introduction to Environmental Pharmacology. Ibn Sina Academy of Medieval Medicine and Sciences. ISBN 9788190607049.
- Rahman, Syed Ziaur (2000). History of Non Resident Students' Centre, AMU, Aligarh. Ibn Sina Academy of Medieval Medicine and Sciences.
- Rahman, Syed Ziaur (1998). The Glowing Legend of Sir Syed – A Centennial Tribute. Aligarh, India: Aligarh Muslim University.
- Rahman, Syed Ziaur (1997). Aligarh in My Days. Aligarh, India: NRSC, Aligarh Muslim University.
- Environmental Impact of Pharmaceutical Drugs
- Environmental pharmacology
- Alternatives to animal testing
- Lifestyle drug
- Board of Trustees and Chair, Advisory Council Section 3, International Association of Medical Colleges (IAOMC) 
- 45 and Up Study, Sax Institute, Sydney, Australia Archived 17 February 2011 at the Wayback Machine
- William Russell and Rex Burch (1959). The Principles of Humane Experimental Technique (paperback ed.). London: London: Methuen. ISBN 978-0-900767-78-4.
- http://www.icare-worldwide.org/images/poster_2_training.pdf Archived 21 July 2011 at the Wayback Machine The Indian Scenario, Empowerment and Training in the Use of replacement alternatives in education – The success stories in Italy, India and Romania
- A Guide to the Alternatives of Animal Experimentation (ISBN 978-81-906070-4-9). Eds. Syed Ziaur Rahman and Mohd Tariq Salman, Ibn Sina Academy of Medieval Medicine and Sciences, Aligarh, India, 2009
- Online Urdu Texts of the InterNICHE book From Guinea Pig to Computer Mouse (2nd ed.) Archived 9 March 2009 at the Wayback Machine: InterNICHE stands for 'International Network for Humane Education'
- Ethical and effective acquisition of knowledge and skills, a presentation by InterNICHE Co-ordinator Nick Jukes about alternatives to animal testing in education Archived 21 July 2011 at the Wayback Machine: Urdu Translation published in Tehzibul Akhlaq (Vol. 24, Issue 11, November 2005: 34–45), an Islamic literary scientific journal that addresses social reform and new ideas, distributed across India, Pakistan and further afield
- Preserving the Tradition of Unani Medicine, Member Spotlights Archived 11 June 2010 at the Wayback Machine, The Science Advisory Board (http://www.scienceboard.net/), 27 November 2002, Arlington, VA, United States.
- Nizami, Qudsia; Jafri, MA (October 2006). "Unani drug, Jadwar (Delphinium denudatum Wall" (PDF). Indian Journal of Traditional Knowledge. 5 (4): 463–467.
- Sales, PM; Sousa, PM de; Silveira, CA Dâmaris (June 2008). "The use of herbal medicine by AIDS patients from Hospital Universitário de Brasília, Brazil" (PDF). Bol. Latinoam. Caribe Plant. Med. Aromaticas. 7 (4): 208–217. Archived (PDF) from the original on 23 September 2012.
- Zafar, S; Aftab, MA; Siddiqui, TA (May 2003). "Jadwar (Delphinium denudatum Wall.) Roots – A Boon in Unani Medicine". Hamdard Medicus. XLVI (2): 9–14.
- Abdul Latif. Preface, Recent Advances in Unani Herbal Dermatology (Monograph), Deptt. of Ilmul Advia, Aligarh Muslim University, 2001
- Parveen, M; Khanam, Z; Ali, M; Rahman, SZ (January 2010). "A novel lupene-type triterpenic glucoside from the leaves of Clerodendrum inerme". Natural Product Research. 24 (2): 167–176. doi:10.1080/14786410902975566. PMID 20077310.
- Parveen, M; Ghalib, RM; Mehdi, SH; Rahman, SZ; Ali, M (May 2009). "A new triterpenoid from the leaves of Ficus Benjamin (var.comosa)". Natural Product Research. 23 (8): 729–736. doi:10.1080/14786410802362204. PMID 19418356.
- A. Mohd Ilham, S. Anee Suryani, M. M. Siti Syarifah, Y. Nurhanan Murni, O. Asiah, I. Norhayati & H. Lili Sahira. Evaluation the effects of Erythrosylum cuneatum Forma Cuneatum (Miq.) Kurz (Chinta Mula) in Morphine Addicted rats [permanent dead link]
- Peregud, DI; Onufriev, MV; Yakovlev, AA; Stepanichev, MYu; Lazareva, NA; Pavlova, TV; Panchenko, LF; Gulyaeva, NV (June 2007). "Nitric oxide synthase activity and the level of nitrates/nitrites in brain regions during spontaneous morphine withdrawal in rats". Biochemistry (Moscow) Supplement Series B. 1 (2): 131–138. doi:10.1134/S1990750807020047.
- Peregud, DI; Onufriev, MV; Yakovlev, AA; Stepanichev, MYu; Lazareva, NA; Pavlova, TV; Panchenko, LF; Gulyaeva, NV (July–August 2006). "Nitric oxide synthase activity and the level of nitrates/nitrites in brain regions during spontaneous morphine withdrawal in rats". Biomeditsinskaya Khimiya. 52 (4): 352–363. PMID 17044593.
- Peregud, DI; Vorontsova, ON; Yakovlev, AA; Panchenko, LF; Gulyaeva, NV (June 2008). "Changes in anxiety in abstinence correlate with the state of the nigrostriatal system in the rat hippocampus". Neuroscience and Behavioral Physiology. 38 (5): 443–448. doi:10.1007/s11055-008-9000-y. PMID 18607757.
- Panchenko, LF; Peregud, DI; Yakovlev, AA; Onufriev, MV; Stepanichev, MY; Lazareva, NA; Pavlova, TV; Baronets, Vlu; Gulyaeva, NV (September–October 2004). "Effects of morphine withdrawal on the indices of free radical homeostasis and nitric oxide system in rat liver and thymus". Biomeditsinskaya Khimiya. 50 (5): 460–70. PMID 15628595.
- Zhilov Valery Khazhimuratovich. Use of Cyclic bioisosteres of purine system derivatives for the treatment of diseases caused by disorders of nitrergic and dopaminergic systems. Patent (International application # PCT/RU2004/000298; Intl Application # WO2005/011648; 10 February 2005 Gazette 2005/06)
- Chase, Christina (June 2003). "Study shows Delphinium denudatum aids in de-addiction of morphine (Review)". HerbClip, American Botanical Council, Austin, TX, US: HC#010133–234.
- Hacker, Miles (2009). "Chapter 13: Adverse Drug Reactions". In Miles P. Hacker, William S. Messer and Kenneth A Bachmann (ed.). Pharmacology: Principles and Practice (1st ed.). US/UK: Academic Press. pp. 327–352. ISBN 978-0-12-369521-5.
- Woodward, Kevin N (2009). "Chapter 1: Elements of Veterinary Pharmacovigilance". In KN Woodward (ed.). Veterinary Pharmacovigilance: Adverse Reactions to Veterinary Medicinal Products (1st ed.). US/UK: Wiley-Blackwell, John Wiley and Sons. pp. 11, 14. ISBN 978-1-4051-6968-4.
- Roy Kunal, Ghosh Gopinath. Exploring QSARs with Extended Topochemical Atom (ETA) Indices for Modeling Chemical and Drug Toxicity Current Pharmaceutical Design, Volume 16, Number 24, August 2010 , pp. 2625–2639(15); 
- Yang, Kun; Bai, Hongjun; Ouyang, Qi; Lai, Luhua; Tang, Chao (2008). "Finding multiple target optimal intervention in disease related molecular network". Molecular Systems Biology. 4: 228. doi:10.1038/msb.2008.60. PMC 2673713. PMID 18985027.
- Prof. B. Kukes, Prof. N. Paleev, Dr. D. Sychev. Methodology of Personalised Medicine: Old ideas and new opportunities]: Russian Doctor 2008 (Russian Journal)
- Salman, MT; Khan, FA; Rahman, SZ; Makhdoom, M (2009). "Drug Prescribing Pattern in Dental Teaching" (PDF). JK Science. 11 (2): 107.
- Salman, MT; Akram, MF; Rahman, SZ; Khan, FA; Haseen, MA; Khan, SW (2008). "Drug Prescribing Pattern in Surgical Wards of a Teaching Hospital in North India". Indian Journal for Practicing Doctors. 5 (2): 5–7.
- Pharmaceuticals in the Environment – A Brief Summary, , K. Kümmerer
- Environmental Protection Agency, , EPA 2008
- Sue Ruhoy, Ilene; Daughton, Christian G. (2008). "Beyond the medicine cabinet: An analysis of where and why medications accumulate". Environment International. 34 (8): 1157–1169. doi:10.1016/j.envint.2008.05.002. PMID 18571238.
- Moghadamnia, AA (2008). "A review of Common Poisoning Episodes; Past, presence and the future and the routes of solution with a view of poisoning in Mazandaran Province". Journal of Babol University of Medical Sciences. 9 (6): 61–77.
- Moghadamnia AA. "A review of poisoning and drug overdose. Koomesh [Journal of Semnan University of Medical Sciences] 2007; 8(4): 193–204.
- Rahman, SZ; Khan, RA; Gupta, V; Uddin, Misbah (July 2007). "Pharmacoenvironmentology – A Component of Pharmacovigilance". Environmental Health. 6 (20): 20. doi:10.1186/1476-069X-6-20. PMC 1947975. PMID 17650313.
- Velo, G P (2007). "Why Ecopharmacovigilance? (Conference Abstract)". Drug Safety. 30 (10): 919–990. doi:10.2165/00002018-200730100-00038.
- Daughton, Christian G; Ruhoy, Ilene Sue (2008). "The Afterlife of Drugs and the Role of PharmEcovigilance". Drug Safety. 31 (12): 1069–1082. doi:10.2165/0002018-200831120-00004. PMID 19026025.
- New View Campaign
- PROCAARE "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 27 July 2011. Retrieved 25 May 2010.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link), Archive 2007
- MSMGF Directory Archived 26 March 2012 at the Wayback Machine
- WHO Essential Drug
- UPCH "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2 July 2009. Retrieved 25 May 2010.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link), UPCH 2007
- Academics of Indian origin – GYAN Network: An initiative of the High Commission of India in Australia, Indian High Commission, Canberra, ACT 2600, Australia  Archived 13 June 2010 at the Wayback Machine
- "Alumni Awards 2018". Western Sydny University Australia. 20 August 2018. Retrieved 30 August 2018.
- Young Scientist Winners , Safety Pharmacology Society, USA