Expandable map of Sylhet District
|• Total||3,452.07 km2 (1,332.85 sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+06:00 (BST)|
medium · 11th of 21
Sylhet district was established on 3 January 1782, and until 1878 it was part of Bengal province. In that year, Sylhet was included in the newly created Assam Province, and it remained as part of Assam up to 1947 (except during the brief break-up of Bengal province in 1905–11). Sylhet district was divided into five subdivisions and the current Sylhet District was known as the North Sylhet subdivision. In 1947, Sylhet became a part of East Pakistan as a result of a referendum (except 3½ thanas of Karimganj subdivision) as part of Chittagong Division. It was subdivided into four districts in 1983-84 with the current Sylhet District being known as North Sylhet. It became a part of Sylhet Division after its formation in 1995.
The upazilas are:
- Dakshin Surma
- Osmani Nagar
- Sylhet Sadar
- Shah Jalal, Sufi saint and mystic.
- Shah Paran, Sufi saint.
- Nurul Islam Nahid, Former Education Minister of Bangladesh
- Syed Mujtaba Ali, Bengali author, journalist, travel enthusiast, academician, scholar and linguist
- Govinda Chandra Dev (1 February 1907 – 26 March 1971), known as G. C. Dev, was a Professor of Philosophy at the University of Dhaka. He was assassinated at the onset of Bangladesh Liberation War of 1971 by the Pakistan Army.
- Abdul Malik (physician), National Professor, Brigadier (rtd.), Cardiologist, Founder and President of National Heart Foundation of Bangladesh.
- Rushanara Ali, first Bangladeshi to be elected as an MP for the British parliament.
- Ajmal Masroor, television presenter, politician and imam, Parliamentary candidate for a UK Parliament constituency.
- Lutfur Rahman (politician), the first elected mayor of the London Borough of Tower Hamlets council.
- Mukhlesur Rahman Chowdhury,former minister and adviser to the president of Bangladesh.
- Humayun Rashid Choudhury, Awami League leader and former speaker of National parliament.
- Dilwar Khan, poet.
- Salman Shah, film actor, model.
- Shuvro Dev, playback singer.
- Syed Ahmed (businessman), businessman, British TV personality.
- Badar Uddin Ahmed Kamran, Mayor of Sylhet since 2003, AL.
- List of people from Sylhet
- Districts of Bangladesh
- Sylhet Division
- List of colleges in Sylhet
- Bangladesh at GeoHive Archived 26 February 2014 at the Wayback Machine
- "Sub-national HDI - Area Database - Global Data Lab". hdi.globaldatalab.org. Retrieved 18 March 2020.
- Ashfaq Hossain (2012). "Sylhet District". In Sirajul Islam and Ahmed A. Jamal (ed.). Banglapedia: National Encyclopedia of Bangladesh (Second ed.). Asiatic Society of Bangladesh.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sylhet District.|