Sylhet MAG Osmani Medical College
|সিলেট এম.এ.জি ওসমানী মেডিকেল কলেজ|
Logo of Sylhet MAG Osmani Medical College
|Sylhet Medical College|
|Type||Public medical school|
|Principal||Morshed Ahmed Chowdhury|
|Director||Brig. Gen. Md. Abdus Sabur Miah|
Sylhet MAG Osmani Medical College (SOMC) (Bengali: সিলেট এম.এ.জি ওসমানী মেডিকেল কলেজ) is a government medical school in Bangladesh, established in 1962. It is located in Sylhet. Originally named "Sylhet Medical College", it was renamed in 1986 in honour of General Muhammad Ataul Gani Osmani, Commander-in-chief of Bangladesh Army during the Bangladesh Liberation War of 1971. The college is affiliated with Shahjalal University of Science and Technology under the School of Medical Sciences.
It offers a five-year course of study leading to a Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) degree. A one-year internship after graduation is compulsory for all graduates. The degree is recognised by the Bangladesh Medical and Dental Council. It admits approximately 200 undergraduate and a good number of postgraduate students every year.
The college and hospital extends over an area of 206,355 sq m divided into new site and old site. The Sylhet MAG Osmani Medical college situated in the new site covers an area of 191,977 sq M.
- Old campus
- New campus
- Model family planning clinic
- Nuclear medicine center
- Sylhet Nursing College
Main campus comprises individual facilities of:
- A three-storied College building complex,
- A five-storied 1000 bed large Hospital building complex,
- A Nuclear Medicine unit, and Model Family Planning clinic
- The Nurses training institute also run along with the medical courses.
Other many nearby hospitals are also affiliated with main academic schedule. These include:
- Shahid Dr. Shamsuddin Ahmed General Hospital,
- Leprosy Hospital,
- TB clinic, Infectious disease Hospital and
- The nearby Thana Health Complexes.
There are five hostels for boys' & four for the girls'.
Boys' hostels includes - 1. Shahid Dr.Shamsuddin Ahmed Hostel 2. Abu Sina Hostel 3. Colonel Zia Hostel 4. Hazrat Shahjalal Hostel 5. Shahid Dr. Milon Intern Hostel.
Girls' hostels includes - 1. Dr. Dilruba Begum Hostel 2. Dr. Shayamol Kanti Lala Hostel 3. Hazrat Shahporan Hostel 4. Intern Hostel ( female)
Sylhet MAG Osmani Medical College now offer 20 postgraduate courses. The presently available courses are M.D. (Internal medicine, Pediatrics and Cardiology), M.S. (|General Surgery, Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Ophthalmology, Pediatric surgery and Orthopaedics), M.Phil (Anatomy, Biochemistry, Pharmacology, Microbiology, Pathology and Psychiatry), one year Diploma (Forensic Medicine, Clinical Pathology, Child Health, Anesthesia, Dermatology & Venereal Disease and Obstetrics Gynaecology). The college now has more than 150 faculty members, around 350 staffs for 1000 undergraduate students and around 400 postgraduate students. All the courses are certified by Shahjalal University of Science and Technology (both undergraduate and postgraduate courses) are recognized by the National regulatory agency Bangladesh Medical and Dental Council.
- Undergraduate Courses : M.B.B.S., BDS
- Post Graduate Courses:
- Diploma - DA, DCP, DCH, DDV, DFM, DGO
- M.Phil - Anatomy, Biochemistry, Pharmacology, Microbiology, Pathology and Psychiatry
- M.D. - Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, Cardiology.
- M.S. - General Surgery, Ophthalmology, Orthopedic Surgery, Pediatric Surgery, Obstetrics & Gynecology
Two journals are published. Both are BMDC recognized. These are
- Osmani Medical Teacher's Association Journal (OMTAJ), published in January and July every year.
- Bangladesh Medical Journal, published twice yearly by BMA.