Sylhet Sadar Upazila
|• MPs (Sylhet-1, Sylhet-3)||Abul Maal Abdul Muhith (1-AL) Mahmuu-us Samad Chowdhury (3-AL)|
|• Total||323.17 km2 (124.78 sq mi)|
|• Density||1,071/km2 (2,770/sq mi)|
|Time zone||BST (UTC+6)|
At the 1991 Bangladesh census, Sylhet Sadar had a population of 554,412, of whom 287,304 were aged 18 or older. Males constituted 52.51% of the population, and females 47.49%. Sylhet Sadar had an average literacy rate of 87.6%, among them male 49.0%, female 51.0% (7+ years), and with the national average being 32.4% literate. Major religions are Muslim 81.26%, Hindu 17.43%, Buddhist, Christian and others 0.31%.
Arts and culture
The rich culture of Sylhet Sadar Upazila includes such major national festivals as Bangladesh Independence Day, Victory Day, Language Movement Day, Pohela Baishakh are widely celebrate in the upazila. Traditional and religious festivals like Eid-ul-Fitr, Eid-ul-Azha, Raspurnima, Jhulan Jatra and Roth Jatra, Christmas and other religious festivals are peacefully and widely celebrate by people of different religions. It is the place of the mausoleum of the great saint Hazrat Shahjalal (R). There are also lots of historical and cultural places are situated in this upazila.
Sylhet Sadar has 1 city corporation & 27 Wards, 275 Mauzas/Mahallas, and 709 villages. The most important unions of Sylhet Sadar are:
- Khadim Nagar
- Khadim Para
- Tuker Bazar
The average literacy rate of Sylhet Sadar Upazila is 87.6%; male 57.2%, female 44.0%. It is the place of high educational institutions of Sylhet Division. One of the first science and technology university established in Bangladesh is Shahjalal University of Science and Technology situated here. There are also other colleges such as Sylhet Engineering College, Murari Chand College, and Osmani Medical College,Institute of Health Technology, Sylhet Sylhet Polytechnic Institute. Other notable educational institutions are Jalalabad Cantonment Public School and College, Sylhet Cadet College, Sylhet Agricultural University, Madan Mohan College, State College, Womans College Sylhet, Government College Sylhet, and Sylhet Law College. There are also three private universities in Sylhet, namely Leading University, Sylhet International University and Metropolitan University.
There are also four private medical colleges in Sylhet Sadar Upazila, namely Jalalabad Ragib-Rabeya Medical College and Hospital, North East Medical College & Hospital, Sylhet Women's Medical College and Durre Samad Red Crescent Medical College. Jalalabad Ragib-Rabeya Medical College is the largest; established in 1995, founded by philanthropist Ragib Ali and his wife Rabeya Khatun.
- Md. Farruk Ahmed Chowdhury (2012). "Sylhet Sadar Upazila". In Sirajul Islam and Ahmed A. Jamal. Banglapedia: National Encyclopedia of Bangladesh (Second ed.). Asiatic Society of Bangladesh.
- "Population Census Wing, BBS.". Archived from the original on 2005-03-27. Retrieved November 10, 2006.
- Shahjalal University of Science and Technology Varsity Admission. Retrieved on 25 May 2009.
- Sylhet Engineering College The Daily Star. 9 November 2008. Retrieved on 25 May 2009.
- Mohammad Shafiqul Islam (25 March 2007) Inter University Debate Competition: Metropolitan University Team Champion The Daily Star. Retrieved on 25 May 2009.
- MAG Osmani Medical College Retrieved on 25 May 2009.
- Jalalabad Ragib-Rabeya Medical College and Hospital