Sylmar High School
|Sylmar High School|
|13050 Borden Ave.
Sylmar, CA 91342
|Established||September 11, 1961|
|School district||Los Angeles Unified School District|
|Color(s)||Navy blue, Columbia Blue and White|
Sylmar High School is a public school in the northeast San Fernando Valley in the Sylmar district of Los Angeles, California. Established in 1961, it is part of the Los Angeles Unified School District, District 2, and serves more than 3,600 students in grades 9–12. The school mascot is the Spartans.
Sylmar first opened in 1961. Sylmar Magnet School opened September 13, 1994, serving 396 students annually.
Sylmar's athletic program has flourished in the Los Angeles City Section. Particularly in football, the Spartans have won two city titles under former head coach Jeff Engilman, in 1992 and 1994. Since then, the Spartans have had plenty of[clarification needed] 10+ win seasons making playoffs but have fallen short of advancing to the championship games. Engilman retired from coaching in 2003 with London Woodfin, the offensive coordinator, taking the reins. In Woodfin's first season as head coach in 2004 the team went 9–3 and lost to Dorsey High School 55–13 in the playoffs. The closest Sylmar has gotten to making the championship game was in 2005, losing to Taft High School 48–28 in the semi-finals when Sylmar finished the season 12–1. Sylmar had running back C. J. Gable at the time. In 2014, the Sylmar football team made it to the Division 2 championship game, losing 58–31 to Hamilton High School. It has two City Division-I baseball titles: 1973 and 1980.
- Chuy Bravo, television personality
- Brandon Browner, football player
- Marco Estrada, baseball player
- CJ Gable, football player
- Tyler Honeycutt, basketball player
- Durell Price, football player
- Jeff Scott Soto, musician (class of 1983)
- Pete Redfern, baseball player
- Brian Roberson, football player
- Johnny Whitaker, actor (class of 1977)
- George Wrighster, football player
- "School Profile". Los Angeles Unified School District. Retrieved February 24, 2015.
- Los Angeles Unified School District profile
- "About Sylmar". Sylmar High School. Retrieved February 24, 2015.
- "Chuy Bravo". TMZ. August 20, 2014.
- "Brandon Browner". NFL. Retrieved February 24, 2015.
- "Estrada of Sylmar Beats Monroe With One-Hitter, 4-0". Los Angeles Times. April 19, 2001. Retrieved February 24, 2015.
- "CJ Gable". USC. Retrieved February 24, 2015.
- Eric Sondheimer (April 20, 2009). "Sylmar's Tyler Honeycutt stays loyal to volleyball team". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved February 24, 2015.
- Paige A. Leech (December 11, 1994). "Price Gouges Crenshaw, 38-6 : City Section: Sylmar back has 166 yards, three touchdowns as Spartans win 4-A title". Los Angeles Times.
- "Jeff Scott Soto". LinkedIn. Retrieved February 24, 2015.
- Steve Springer (March 29, 1985). "PETE REDFERN : Stikeouts Used To Be His Specialty ... Right Now, He Would Settle for a Walk". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved February 24, 2015.
- "Brian Roberson". All XFL. Retrieved February 24, 2015.
- TV Guide June 26-July 2, 1999. pg. 25.
- "George Wrighster". Pro Football Reference.com. Retrieved February 24, 2015.