|Countess of St Andrews|
|Born||Sylvana Palma Tomaselli
28 May 1957
|Other names||Lady St Andrews (formal);
Dr. Sylvana Tomaselli (professional)
Fellow of St John's College, Cambridge
|Spouse(s)||John Paul Jones
(m. 1977; div. 1981)
George Windsor, Earl of St Andrews
|Children||Edward Windsor, Lord Downpatrick
Lady Marina Charlotte Windsor
Lady Amelia Windsor
|Parent(s)||Maximilian Karl Tomaselli
Josiane Yvonne Preschez
Sylvana Palma Windsor, Countess of St Andrews (née Sylvana Palma Tomaselli, previously Jones; 28 May 1957) is an academic and the wife of the Earl of St Andrews, elder son and heir of Prince Edward, Duke of Kent. A historian at the University of Cambridge, she is usually known professionally as Dr Sylvana Tomaselli.
Marriages and family
Lady St Andrews married first, on 25 December 1977 at Vancouver, John Paul Jones, son of Captain Geoffrey Jones of Barbados, but they divorced in 1981 without children. She married second, on 9 January 1988 at Leith in Scotland, George, Earl of St Andrews and they have three children:
- Edward Edmund Maximilian George Windsor, Lord Downpatrick (born 2 December 1988 at St Mary's Hospital in London)
- Lady Marina Charlotte Alexandra Katharine Helen Windsor (born 30 September 1992 at Rosie Hospital in Cambridge)
- Lady Amelia Sophia Theodora Mary Margaret Windsor (born 24 August 1995 at Rosie Hospital in Cambridge)
Brought up in the Roman Catholic faith, Lady St Andrews' reluctance to renounce her adherence to that denomination no longer precludes her husband's right to ascend the throne. Two of her children, Edward (2003) and Marina (2008), were received into the Catholic Church thereby surrendering their places in the line of succession to the thrones of the Commonwealth realms, although Lord and Lady St Andrews' younger daughter, Amelia, is still in remainder to the British Crown.
Tomaselli, who has received BA (UBC), MA (York, Ontario) and MA (Cantab) degrees, became a Fellow of St John's College Cambridge in 2004. She specialises in French and British political theory in the 18th century, especially the history of womanhood, and has written about John Locke, Jean-Jacques Rousseau, David Hume, Mary Wollstonecraft and John Stuart Mill. She is the translator of Book II of the Seminar of Jacques Lacan, The Ego in Freud's Theory and in the Technique of Psychoanalysis. She teaches the three History of Political Theory Papers and is an affiliated Lecturer of the Faculties of History as well as of Social and Political Sciences.
She is a founding member of the European Centre for the Philosophy of Gender, Siegen, Germany and is currently Director of Studies in History Part I and Social & Political Sciences at St John's College in the University of Cambridge. She also acts as a pastoral tutor for students of Natural Sciences at St John's College.
Titles and styles
As the wife of the Earl of St Andrews (who holds the title by courtesy), Sylvana is styled as Countess of St Andrews.
She prefers to be styled professionally as Dr. Sylvana Tomaselli.
- "CRASSH Seminar Room, 17 Mill Lane". Retrieved 28 September 2015.
- "Sympathies and Antipathies – CRASSH". Retrieved 27 October 2016.
- "Amelia Windsor: Everything you need to know about the 'most beautiful member of the royal family'". © 2000-2016, HELLO INC. March 5, 2015. Retrieved 27 October 2016.
The 58-year-old is a historian at the University of Cambridge and prefers to be styled professionally as Dr. Sylvana Tomaselli.
- Keri Sutherland (2010-10-04). "Lady Marina and Lady Amelia Windsor step into the spotlight on Tatler photoshoot | Mail Online". Dailymail.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-04-09.
- St John's College Cambridge
- "Miss Tomaselli | St John's College". Joh.cam.ac.uk. Retrieved 2012-04-09.
- "Europäisches Zentrum für philosophische Geschlechterforschung (EZPG), Siegen - EuroGender". Retrieved 27 October 2016.
- Sylvana Tomaselli Cantab
- FRHistS List T
Countess of Ulster
|United Kingdom Order of Precedence||Succeeded by
Lady Davina Lewis