Sylvania Southview High School
|Sylvania Southview High School|
|7225 Sylvania Avenue
Sylvania, Ohio, (Lucas County) 43560
|Type||Public, Coeducational high school|
|School district||Sylvania City School District|
|Superintendent||Scott Nelson |
|Color(s)||Brown and Orange |
|Athletics conference||Northern Lakes League|
|Athletic Director||James Huss|
Sylvania Southview has a Speech and Debate Team that competes in the National Forensics League. Southview's Debate Team has emerged as one of the most competitive teams in Tahre Trails District. Each year, students compete in District Tournaments to qualify for the National Speech and Debate Tournament, which is held in a different city each year.
Sylvania Southview has a very competitive Mock Trial program. Their Coach, Dennis Lyle, has been coaching for 29 years, and has led the school through 6 state championships, and most recently, a world championship at the Empire International Mock trial Invitational in New York City on October 21, 2013. The team finished as Number One internationally after starting the competition at 35th out of 40 teams. In addition to being state/world champions in the 2013–2014 season, Southview finished 3rd at nationals, out of 46 teams across the country. The Southview Mock Trial Team placed 8th at a global level.
Orchestra members participate in the Ohio Music Education Association Solo and Ensemble and the northwest Ohio regional orchestra and the Ohio state orchestra. Band members participate in Ohio Music Education Association Solo & Ensemble and their large group contests. Southview typically hosts the large group contest. Band students have the Marching Band, Concert Band, Symphonic, and/or Jazz band to participate in.
The athletics program at Southview is known as the Cougars. The Cougars are designated as a Division II (B) school and compete in all sports in the Northern Lakes League, with the exception of the boys' ice hockey team, who compete in the Northwest Hockey Conference.
The team has won the following Northern Lakes League titles:
- Football 2009, 2008, 2006, 2007, 2012, 2011, 1998
- Boys' Swimming -2010, 2015–16
- Boys' Soccer -2003,2011
- Wrestling -1981, 1982, 2006
- Baseball -2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
- Boys' Basketball - 1983, 2008, 2009, 2015
- Boys' Tennis -2012 n
The Cougars main rivals are the Sylvania Northview Wildcats, as the two schools have been rivals since Southview was opened as Sylvania's second high school in 1976.
Southview's Dance team, the Cougarettes, have won in both Pom Pom and Jazz at the State Championships for 2012 as well as 2013.
Ohio High School Athletic Association State Championships
- Football - 2008
- Boys' Cross Country – 1987, 1991, 1992 
- Girls' Cross Country – 1994 
- Cougarettes Dance Team - 2009 (Pom Division), Orange Bowl Halftime in Miami, Florida '11, 2011 (Jazz), and 2012 (Pom and Jazz)
- Khary Campbell, former NFL player
- Eric Kripke, television writer, director, and producer
- Griff Whalen, current NFL player for San Diego Chargers
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association member directory". Retrieved 2010-04-02.
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association Web site". Retrieved 2008-11-28.
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association Web site". Retrieved 2006-12-31.