||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (June 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Vrethammar in 2012
|Birth name||Eva Sylvia Vrethammar|
August 22, 1945 |
|Genres||Traditional pop, jazz, Schlager|
|Labels||Polydor, Sonet, Pid Records|
Eva Sylvia Vrethammar (born August 22, 1945, Uddevalla, Sweden), is a Swedish traditional pop and jazz singer. She is the daughter of Harald Vrethammar, an education official, and Britta Vrethammar, a musical education teacher, specializing in the piano.
In the 1970s, she occasionally appeared as guest singer with the Bert Kaempfert orchestra, singing in English. After a series of tribute concerts in Germany in 2006 and 2008, where she returned to the bandleader's music with ex-Kaempfert trombonist Jiggs Whigham and other former orchestra members (playing as the HR Big Band), in 2012 she recorded numbers from the tours.
She is perhaps best known for the 1974 song, "Y Viva España". It reached #4 in the UK Singles Chart in September 1974, spending over six months in that listing. She was known in the UK simply as Sylvia Globally her version alone sold over one million copies, and was awarded a gold disc.
She took part in Melodifestivalen 2002, singing "Hon är en annan nu". She participated again in Melodifestivalen 2013 in the hope of representing Sweden in the Eurovision Song Contest 2013 which was held in Malmö. She sang her song "Trivialitet" in the fourth semifinal, which was also held in Malmö. She came seventh and was therefore eliminated from the contest.
- 1969 – Tycker om dej
- 1970 – Sylvia
- 1971 – Dansa samba med mej
- 1972 – Gamla stan
- 1973 – Jag sjunger för dej
- 1973 – Eviva España
- 1974 – Sylvia & Göran på Nya Bacchi (with Göran Fristorp)
- 1975 – Stardust & Sunshine
- 1976 – Somebody loves you
- 1977 – Mach das nochmal
- 1977 – Leenden i regn
- 1979 – Chateau Sylvia
- 1980 – In Goodmansland
- 1985 – Rio de Janeiro blue
- 1990 – Öppna dina ögon
- 1992 – Ricardo
- 1999 – Best of Sylvia
- 2002 – Faller för dig
- 2005 – Sommar! Samba! Sylvia!
- 2006 – Champagne
- 2009 - Te quiero (compilation album)
- 2013 - Trivialitet
- "Sök personer". Birthday.se. Retrieved 1 June 2013.
- e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD1IJdle4q0
- (Polydor) Strangers In Night - The Music Of Bert Kaempfert - The Berlin Jazz Orchestra & Special Guests - VÖ 21.09.2012 - Bestellnr. 00602537073986
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 544. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- Murrells, Joseph (1978). The Book of Golden Discs (2nd ed.). London: Barrie and Jenkins Ltd. p. 351. ISBN 0-214-20512-6.
|This article about a Swedish singer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|