Symbols of Newfoundland and Labrador
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Coat of arms||Coat of arms of Newfoundland and Labrador||1 January 1637/8||Granted by John Borough, Garter King of Arms, during the reign of King Charles I|
|Motto||Quaerite primum regnum dei,
Seek ye first the kingdom of God
|1637/8 ||Granted with other elements of the coat of arms, from The Gospel According to St. Matthew 6:33|
|Escutcheon||Escutcheon of Newfoundland and Labrador||1637/8|
|Flag||Flag of Newfoundland and Labrador||6 June 1980|
|Flag of the lieutenant governor||Flag of the Lieutenant Governor of Newfoundland and Labrador|
|Great seal||The Great Seal of Newfoundland||1827 |
|Flower||Purple pitcher plant
|1954 ||Found on bogs and marshes around the province|
|November 1993||The most abundant tree in Labrador|
|1991||About 95% of North America's puffins breed on Newfoundland and Labrador coasts|
|Mineral||Labradorite||The mineral was discovered in northern Labrador|
|Tartan||Provincial tartan||1955||Green with gold, white, brown and red bands|
|Game bird||Partridge or ptarmigan
|||Found throughout the province|
|Anthem||"Ode to Newfoundland"||||Written by Governor Sir Cavendish Boyle in 1902|
|Orders||Order of Newfoundland and Labrador||2001 ||The Order of Newfoundland and Labrador is the highest honour of the province. The medal bears the shield of Newfoundland and Labrador surmounted by the Crown. The medal is worn with a blue, green, white and gold ribbon.|
- Government of Newfoundland and Labrador. "Symbols of Newfoundland and Labrador". Archived from the original on February 5, 2012. Retrieved 16 January 2006.
- Newfoundland and Labrador Heritage (June 2008). "Newfoundland and Labrador Heraldry and Flags". Archived from the original on December 1, 2011. Retrieved 2 June 2008.
- Julian Calendar. Also, though the actual document is dated 1 January 1637 this would translate to 1 January 1638 as the legal year did not start until 25 March. See: Old Style and New Style dates
- Government of Newfoundland and Labrador. "Flag of Newfoundland and Labrador". Archived from the original on November 1, 2012. Retrieved 12 April 2007.
- Newfoundland and Labrador Heritage (June 2008). "Newfoundland and Labrador Provincial Emblems". Retrieved 2 June 2008.
- Government of Newfoundland and Labrador (June 2008). "About Newfoundland and Labrador, Official Game Bird - Partridge". Retrieved 8 May 2015.
- Newfoundland and Labrador Heritage (June 2008). "Newfoundland and Labrador Animals". Retrieved 2 June 2008.
- The Provincial Anthem
- Government of Newfoundland (June 2008). "The Order of Newfoundland". Retrieved 2 December 2009.
|This Newfoundland and Labrador-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|