List of symbols of Scientology
|Scientology symbol||The "new-era" Scientology symbol is an "S" curving through two triangles. The "S" stands for Scientology. The top triangle represents a set of Scientology factors — knowledge, responsibility and control. Collectively the first three factors make up the KRC triangle. The lower triangle consists of the ARC triangle of affinity, reality and communication. |
|Dianetics symbol||The stripes of this symbol represent green for growth, and yellow for life. The four green stripes recall the four divisions of a human's urge to survive which are revealed in Dianetics.|
|Infinite Dianetics symbol||Scientology teaches that all beings have an "urge towards the infinite." This symbol reflects the belief in Scientology that Dianetic processing (the triangle) aids in the attainment of the infinite. Some variants of this symbol have an infinity symbol overlapping a triangle, while others place the infinity within the triangle's boundaries, as on the front cover of some versions of Route to Infinity.|
|Operating Thetan symbol||The Operating Thetan symbol is patterned after the Egyptian hieroglyphic of a scarab beetle. Scarab beetles were symbolic of resurrection and renewal, and are also an important part of Rosicrucianism. The Operating Thetan symbol is prominently displayed on the side of the Scientology cruise ship Freewinds (see Image:Freewinds logo.jpg).
Operating Thetans are said to be in a spiritual state above Clear. Scientologists say that one who has achieved the state of Operating Thetan is essentially a being able to operate free of the encumbrances of the material universe, as outlined in Scientology 8-8008.
|Church of Scientology cross symbol||This symbol is mainly used to specifically denote the Church of Scientology, and may or may not represent the practice of Scientology in general. The cross's eight points represent the eight dynamics in Scientology. See Scientology cross for more details on this symbol.|
|Sea Org symbol||The Sea Org is the central management organisation of the Church of Scientology. The Sea Org was founded by Scientology leader L. Ron Hubbard in 1968, as an organisation for implementing Scientology technology around the world through the operation of a fleet of ships. Members of the Sea Org sign an employment contract with the organisation for one billion years.|
|L. Ron Hubbard symbol||This symbol is a pictograph made of a cursive "L", "R" and "H". Designed to imitate an assay office hallmark, it is used to authenticate L. Ron Hubbard's many works.|
|Church of Spiritual Technology logo||
The symbol for the Church of Spiritual Technology is engraved into the Earth's surface in Scientology's Trementina Base, in a mountainous region of New Mexico, large enough to be seen from a high altitude. Former Church member Michael Pattinson has said that the circles are intended as signposts for reincarnated Scientologists who will come from outer space.
All official symbols of Scientology are trademarks held by the Religious Technology Center (RTC). They are said by the center to be used "on Scientology religious materials to signify their authenticity ... and provide a legal mechanism to ensure the spiritual technologies are orthodox and ministered according to Mr. Hubbard's Scripture. These marks also provide the means to prevent anyone from engaging in some distorted use of Mr. Hubbard's writings, thereby ensuring the purity of the religion for all eternity."
- International Association of Scientologists Membership Homepage, by the International Association of Scientologists
- Scarab - The Magical Beetle of Egypt, by Carl Teichrib
- Factnet Report: Hubbard and the Occult, by Jon Atack
- Copy of Sea Org agreement form, LA Times.
- Hubbard, "Ron's Talk to Pubs Org World Wide", tape of April 1968
- A Place in the Desert for New Mexico's Most Exclusive Circles, Washington Post, 11/27/2005
- Transcript from Anderson Cooper 360, 12/2/2005
- Biography of David Miscavige, from the Religious Technology Center, a Scientology organization
- "Understanding the Scientology Religious Doctrine". A description of the symbols, lectures etc... of Dianetics and Scientology.
- "Google hybrid map of Trementina site". Aerial shot of interlinked circles with diamonds and other structures.
- "Factnet Report: Hubbard and the occult" (personal site). A description of the Scientological symbols and the occult. Sweenytod.com.