Location of Symerton in Will County, Illinois.
Location of Illinois in the United States
|• Total||0.15 sq mi (0.40 km2)|
|• Land||0.15 sq mi (0.40 km2)|
|• Water||0.00 sq mi (0.00 km2)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||587.10/sq mi (226.16/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (CST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|Wikimedia Commons||Symerton, Illinois|
Symerton is a village in Will County, Illinois, United States. The population was 106 at the 2000 census. In 2003, the estimated population was 111. By population, it is the smallest village in Will County.
Symerton is located at (41.328133, -88.054550).
According to the 2010 census, Symerton has a total area of 0.05 square miles (0.13 km2), all land. It is the smallest village in Will County by size and by population. It is located between Peotone and Wilmington.
Symerton was served by the Wabash Railroad. The Will County Historical Society moved the depot to Lockport, Illinois, to serve as part of the society's frontier village; however, the frontier village was evicted from its site in 2009, and the depot was placed into storage. During the early 1940s, the government bought land in Jackson and Florence townships in order to build the Joliet Arsenal. As a result, farmers were forced to leave Jackson and Florence Townships, and many moved their homes down the street, to Symerton.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2000, there were 106 people, 34 households, and 24 families residing in the village. The population density was 2,064.1 people per square mile (818.5/km2). There were 36 housing units at an average density of 701.0 per square mile (278.0/km2). The racial makeup of the village was 99.06% White and 0.94% African American.
There were 34 households, out of which 38.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 64.7% were married couples living together, 2.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 26.5% were non-families. 23.5% of all households were made up of individuals, and 5.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.12 and the average family size was 3.76.
In the village, the population was spread out, with 30.2% under the age of 18, 11.3% from 18 to 24, 28.3% from 25 to 44, 24.5% from 45 to 64, and 5.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 30 years. For every 100 females, there were 100.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 94.7 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $60,357, and the median income for a family was $61,607. Males had a median income of $46,250 versus $25,000 for females. The per capita income for the village was $17,863. None of the population and none of the families were below the poverty line .
- "2019 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved July 14, 2020.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". United States Census Bureau. May 24, 2020. Retrieved May 27, 2020.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "G001 - Geographic Identifiers - 2010 Census Summary File 1". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2020-02-13. Retrieved 2015-12-25.
- "Symerton, Illinois Wabash Depot". Blackhawk Chapter of the National Railway Historical Society. Retrieved April 7, 2012.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.