|Privately held company|
|Founded||February 27, 2001|
Syncopy Inc. is a production company founded by British-American film director, screenwriter and producer Christopher Nolan and his wife, producer Emma Thomas. The name Syncopy derives from "syncope", the medical term for fainting or loss of consciousness. According to Joseph Bevan of Sight & Sound magazine, the name is a reference to a dream state where "the audience is asked to be creative, to wonder at possibilities, to formulate their own opinions as to the meaning of the film[s]." Syncopy has offices in Los Angeles, California.
Syncopy's productions are often distributed by Warner Bros. Pictures. They partnered with Legendary Pictures to produce Batman Begins (2005), The Prestige (2006), The Dark Knight (2008), Inception (2010), and The Dark Knight Rises (2012). In 2013, Syncopy released Zack Snyder's Man of Steel, and in 2015, they formed a joint venture with Zeitgeist Films to release Blu-ray editions of Zeitgeist's prestige films. The first title in their partnership was Elena (2011), from director Andrey Zvyagintsev. Recently the production company has produced the science fiction film Interstellar (2014), the documentary short Quay (2015), the war film Dunkirk (2017), and the spy film Tenet (2020), all directed by Christopher Nolan.
Syncopy employs four people, including Nolan and Thomas. In a 2018 interview for Vanity Fair, Thomas said: "We're not empire builders, we're about the individual film." They have a production office on the Warner Bros. lot in Burbank, California. Nolan uses the studio space to take meetings and "store an inordinate number of Batmobile models of various vintages and sizes."
|Year||Title||Director||Co-production company(s)||Distributor(s)||Box office||Ref.|
|2005||Batman Begins||Christopher Nolan||Legendary Pictures, DC Entertainment||Warner Bros. Pictures||$374.218.673|||
|2006||The Prestige||Christopher Nolan||Touchstone Pictures, Newmarket Films||Warner Bros. Pictures, Buena Vista Pictures||$109.676.311|||
|2008||The Dark Knight||Christopher Nolan||Legendary Pictures, DC Entertainment||Warner Bros. Pictures||$1.004.558.444|||
|2010||Inception||Christopher Nolan||Legendary Pictures||Warner Bros. Pictures||$825.532.764|||
|2012||The Dark Knight Rises||Christopher Nolan||Legendary Pictures, DC Entertainment||Warner Bros. Pictures||$1.081.041.287|||
|2013||Man of Steel||Zack Snyder||Legendary Pictures, DC Entertainment, Cruel and Unusual Films||Warner Bros. Pictures||$668.045.518|||
|2014||Interstellar||Christopher Nolan||Legendary Pictures, Lynda Obst Productions||Warner Bros. Pictures, Paramount Pictures||$672.578.526|||
|2017||Dunkirk||Christopher Nolan||RatPac-Dune Entertainment||Warner Bros. Pictures||$526.940.665|||
|2020||Tenet||Christopher Nolan||Warner Bros. Pictures||Warner Bros. Pictures||TBA|||
|Box office total:||$5.262.592.188||—|
- "SYNCOPY, INC, Beverly Hills CA - Company Profile | BizStanding". bizstanding.com. Retrieved 7 June 2020.
- "Superior Court of The State of California For The County of Los Angeles" (PDF). The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 19 May 2020.
- "The 'Syncopy' of Christopher Nolan's Cinema". Cinematical.com. Retrieved 1 August 2010.
- "Christopher Nolan: escape artist". British Film Institute. Retrieved 19 May 2020.
- "Hollywood Steps Up Security to Keep Scripts Secret". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 19 May 2020.
- "Christopher Nolan's Syncopy Teaming With Zeitgeist on Blu-ray Releases (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved 19 May 2020.
- "Syncopy". British Film Institute. Retrieved 19 May 2020.
- "Meet the Woman Behind Dunkirk". Vanity Fair. Retrieved 16 February 2018.
- "Q&A: Christopher Nolan on the power of the people and why '2001' should be required preschool viewing". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 19 May 2020.
- "Batman Begins (2005)". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 3 January 2013.
- "The Prestige (2006)". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 3 January 2013.
- "The Dark Knight (2008)". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 3 January 2013.
- "Inception (2010)". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 3 January 2013.
- "The Dark Knight Rises (2012)". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 3 January 2013.
- "Man of Steel (2013)". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 14 December 2014.
- "Interstellar (2014)". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 14 December 2014.
- "Dunkirk (2017)". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 23 December 2017.
- Hipes, Patrick (22 May 2019). "Christopher Nolan's New Movie Gets A Title, Final Cast As Shooting Begins". Deadline Hollywood. Archived from the original on 7 June 2019. Retrieved 22 May 2019.