Number of employees
Syntus is a public transport company operating bus and passenger train services in the Netherlands. Originally owned by Connexxion, Keolis and Nederlandse Spoorwegen, since 2012 Syntus has been a 100% subsidiary of Keolis. Syntus is an acronym for Synergy between Train and Bus.
In 1991 Geldersche Streekvervoer Maatschappij (GSM) and the Dutch Railways started a transport integration project called Integratie Gelderland Oost. Integration between train and bus was the main goal. GSM later merged with Gemeentelijk Vervoerbedrijf Arnhem to form Gelderse Vervoersmaatschappij.
In 1999 Syntus commenced rail operations, Connexxion, Keolis and Nederlandse Spoorwegen each owning one-third. In 2007 Connexxion's shareholding was purchased by Keolis and Nederlandse Spoorwegen. In 2012 Keolis purchased Nederlandse Spoorwegen's 50% share.
Syntus propagates synergy, which is based on a so-called 'visgraatmodel' (fish bone model). In this model train service represent the backbones. Bus services represent the spokes that feed train services. After a while other public transport companies like Arriva and Veolia Transport copied the model.
In August 2010, Syntus commenced an eight year contract to operate services in Overijssel. In December 2010, it commenced a 10 year contract to operate services in Gelderland. In December 2016, it commenced a seven year contract to operate services in Utrecht.
In December 2017, Syntus will commence a ten year contract to operate bus services in Almere. In the same month, it will commence a 15 year contract to operate rail services in the province of Overijssel from Zwolle to Enschede and Zwolle to Kampen. These will be operated by 16 Stadler Flirts.
Syntus' corporate identity consists of the colors yellow, white and blue. Every region has its own identity incorporated in the corporate identity. The Syntus brand is to be retired in 2017 and replaced by the Keolis brand.
- Who we are Keolis (in Dutch)
- Syntus in financial trouble? International Railway Journal 10 May 2012
- Voith wins Syntus train maintenance contract Railway Gazette International 1 September 2009
- Annual report for year ended 31 December 2007 Connexxion
- Keolis buys NS stake in Syntus Railway Gazette International 6 August 2012
- Keolis completes Syntus takeover International Railway Journal 6 August 2012
- Abellio launches new Arnham - Dusseldorf service International Railway Journal 10 April 2017
- Protos EMU order Railway Gazette International 1 April 2006
- Annual Report for year ended 31 December 2008 Connexxions
- Veolia Transdev to sell Dutch subsidiary International Railway Journal 18 February 2013
- Syntus Keolis Group wins third contract in a row Keolis 27 September 2016
- Syntus wins Zwolle operating contract Railway Gazette International 17 June 2015
- Dutch operator Syntus awarded Zwolle rail contract European Railway Review 22 June 2015
- NS withdraws appeal against Zwolle - Enschede contract award International Railway Journal 1 October 2015
- Syntus orders Flirts for Zwolle services Railway Gazette International 2 March 2016
- Stadler EMUs enter service with Dutch operators International Railway Journal 14 December 2016
Media related to Syntus at Wikimedia Commons