Syria at the 2012 Summer Olympics
|Syria at the|
2012 Summer Olympics
|NOC||Syrian Olympic Committee|
|Competitors||10 in 7 sports|
|Flag bearer||Majed Aldin Ghazal|
|Summer Olympics appearances (overview)|
|Other related appearances|
|United Arab Republic (1960)|
Syria competed at the 2012 Summer Olympics in London, from 27 July to 12 August 2012. This was the nation's twelfth appearance at the Olympics since its debut in 1948. The Syrian Olympic Committee sent the nation's largest delegation to the Games, after the 1988 Summer Olympics in Seoul. A total of ten athletes, six men and four women, competed in 6 sports. Four of them received their spots in track and field, and in swimming by wild card entries. Three Syrian athletes had competed in Beijing, including high jumper Majed Aldin Ghazal, who was the nation's flag bearer at the opening ceremony. Among the sports played by the athletes, Syria marked its Olympic debut in equestrian show jumping.
Because of an ongoing 2011-2012 uprising in Syria (now turned into a civil war), there were concerns about Syria's participation to the Olympic games. General Mowaffak Joumaa, president of Syrian National Olympic Committee, told ITV News: "There is no question about it—we are taking part". In April 2012, Abdelbasset Saroot, the former Syrian football goalkeeper, said in an interview with ITV News that his nation's athletes did not want to compete in these games because "they don't want to play for a flag that they have no pride or faith in". According to the British prime minister David Cameron, Syrian athletes must take part in the Olympics, but any of the nation's officials covered by a European Union travel ban were not welcome. This was the case for the Syrian Olympic Committee's head General Mowaffak Joumaa, who was denied a visa to travel to the games in an official capacity by the British government. The Syrian team in London refused to comment on the political situation in their homeland; their supporters, however, carried Ba'athist flags and voiced their support for the Syrian government.
|Majed Aldin Ghazal||High jump||2.16||28||Did not advance|
|Ghfran Almouhamad||400 m hurdles||DSQ*||Did not advance|
Syria earned 1 quota in boxing.
|Athlete||Event||Round of 32||Round of 16||Quarterfinals||Semifinals||Final|
|Wessam Salamana||Bantamweight|| Abutalipov (KAZ)
|Did not advance|
|Omar Hasanin||Men's road race||Did not finish|
|Round 1||Round 2||Round 3||Round A||Round B|
|Ahmad Saber Hamcho||Wonderboy||Individual||1||=33 Q||29||30||62||Did not advance||30||62|
|Raya Zin Aldden||10 m air rifle||388||50||Did not advance|
|Azad Al-Barazi||100 m breaststroke||1:03.48||39||Did not advance|
|Bayan Jumah||100 m freestyle||59.78||40||Did not advance|
Syria qualified the following quota places.
|Athlete||Event||Snatch||Clean & Jerk||Total||Rank|
|Ahed Joughili||Men's −105 kg||180||8||218||5||398||6|
|Thuraia Sobh||Women's −75 kg||86||11||115||11||201||11|
- "Olympics-Syrians don't want to take part in London Games-Saroot", Yahoo Sports, 4 April 2012.
- "Syrians don't want to take part in London Games – Saroot", moneycontrol.com, 4 April 2012.
- "Syrian NOC Chief Denied Visa" Around the Rings
- Helen William (22 June 2012). "Syria Olympics chief General Mowaffak Joumaa 'refused visa' - Home News - UK". The Independent.
- Cahal Milmo (25 July 2012). "London 2012: 18-strong Syrian delegation refuse to speak about Assad at Olympic Welcoming Ceremony - World Politics - World". The Independent.
- الاتحاد الرياضي الاولمبي السوري
- "Ghfran Almouhamad DQ'd for doping". ESPN. Retrieved 11 August 2012.
- "IOC DISCIPLINARY COMMISSION DECISION REGARDING MS. GHFRAN ALMOUHAMAD" (PDF). IOC. 2012-08-11. Retrieved 2012-09-17.
- "London 2012 Olympics qualifying: Equestrian". BBC. 2 January 2011. Retrieved 3 February 2011.
- "FINA Universality Places" (PDF). FINA. 6 July 2012. Retrieved 6 July 2012.