|Design||Winged sun on red background|
|Designed by||Bahro Suryoyo|
The Aramean flag, or Syriac-Aramean flag, is the ethnic flag designated for the Aramean people, adopted in 1980 by the Aramean journal Bahro Suryoyo of the Syriac federation in Sweden (Swedish: Syrianska Riksförbundet). Intended to represent their nation and homeland as well as the Aramean diaspora, the flag was design based on the Winged Sun symbol, replacing the sun by a torch symbolising the Holy Spirit in Christianity.
The design is specifically based on a relief depicting Gilgamesh between two bull-men supporting a winged sun disk, excavated by the French semitologist André Dupont-Sommer (1900-1983) at Tell Halaf in the former Aramean city-state of Bit Bahiani, today located in the Al Hasakah governorate of northeastern Syria. The red background was chosen to represent the blood that was spilled in the Aramean genocide. The yellow represents hope. It is intended to represent "the Aramean (Syriac) nation in the Aramean homeland and in the Aramean diaspora". The Aramean flag is advocated by a number of Syriac Christians, most notably members of the Syriac Orthodox Church and Syriac Catholic Church.
Aramean flag, adopted in 1980
- World Council of Arameans (Syriacs)
- Aramean Democratic Organization
- Syriac Orthodox Church
- Syriac Catholic Church
- Coptic flag
- Syriac-Aramaic identity
- Atto, Naures (2011). Hostages in the Homeland, Orphans in the Diaspora: Identity Discourses among the Assyrian/Syriac Elites in the European Diaspora. Leiden University Press.
- "Syriac-Aramaic People (Syria)". Crwflags.com. 18 June 2001. Archived from the original on 4 December 2008. Retrieved 16 November 2008.
-  Relief Depicting Gilgamesh Between Two Bull-Men Supporting a Winged Sun Disk, Fr.Tell-Halaf, Syria Archived June 7, 2015, at the Wayback Machine. Syrianerna – En nation i förskringring, Assad Sauma Assad, 2005
- "Syrianer - en nation i förskingring, p. 24, 2004, Syrianska Riksförbundet i Sverige" (PDF). Syrianska Riksförbundet i Sverige. Retrieved 9 December 2015.
- flag of Syriac-Aramaic People (Syria) flags, Syriac-Aramaic People (Syria)
- "Syriac-Aramaic People (Syria)". Crwflags.com. Archived from the original on 4 December 2008. Retrieved 2008-11-16.
- "Assyria". Crwflags.com. Archived from the original on 12 October 2008. Retrieved 2008-11-16.
- "Chaldean Flag . . . from A to Z". Retrieved 2018-08-19.